New Hawaii Safety Check Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
hmm... sounds like another good time =\

another way to spend tax payers money on things we don't need... what I can't understand is why OAHU is the ONLY island that STILL HAS RECON to begin with AND why we even need this sort of system. Furthermore... How can the state afford this? seems like another way to **** people out of money...
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
No reason for the inspectors to go out and try to edit the pictures that they take on the i-pads, plus the info is probably sent as soon as it is taken. It sucks that the stations will have to foot the bill, and thus pass on the cost to the consumers too. I'm guessing the recon station will be getting a lot busier in the near future.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 AM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Originally Posted by iNfEk
hmm... sounds like another good time =\

another way to spend tax payers money on things we don't need... what I can't understand is why OAHU is the ONLY island that STILL HAS RECON to begin with AND why we even need this sort of system. Furthermore... How can the state afford this? seems like another way to **** people out of money...
Last time I went to get a recon, the inspector said that recon is based on population density. The reason why Oahu needs recon and the other islands do not is simply due to that.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 96 impreza coupe lx
Angry

Originally Posted by devilzdriver
They have been "fixing" our road since May, i live in Wahiawa and its Almost September now and are just making it towards the Kam. I already know that, there are more pot holes and dips then before.
i second this^^^^^^ i also live in wahiawa and the road may look smooth but it's actually very lumpy and they also paved over the manholes so later on they are going to dig them up and patch around it. this in turn will eventually start to create pot holes and cracks in the road. which was the essence of our problem in wahiawa in the first place! i'm not sure who is the mastermind but from what i can tell you he needs a refund on his college degree (if he even has one)
Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM

Car Info: Mazda Miata 1991, STi 2005, 03WRX/98GC, 2.5RS 2000
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
whats going to stop people from photoshopping the picture taken with the ipad? or is the photo going to be like a pdf...once taken, you cant edit?
My understanding is the photos are uploaded from the ipad to a router at the safety check station, then immediately uploaded to a "Safety Check" government server. The GPS function in the ipad will be used to verify that the check is done at the station.

The idea behind a central server is so if your car fails at one station, you simply can't go to another station to pass, you will need to "fix" the non-compliant issues, as they will be flagged in the central database.

So if this info is all stored in a government server, how difficult will it be for HPD to access the safety check pictures and compare them to your car during a traffic stop?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by avery

My understanding is the photos are uploaded from the ipad to a router at the safety check station, then immediately uploaded to a "Safety Check" government server. The GPS function in the ipad will be used to verify that the check is done at the station.

The idea behind a central server is so if your car fails at one station, you simply can't go to another station to pass, you will need to "fix" the non-compliant issues, as they will be flagged in the central database.

So if this info is all stored in a government server, how difficult will it be for HPD to access the safety check pictures and compare them to your car during a traffic stop?
This is true I asked my brother inlaw and he stated its sent as soon as the picture is take with GPS signature so they know it came from the station. If any irgularity an investigation is started. And the station will loose its license if found guilty.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Car Info: grandmas car

ok, you hit the bullseye. thats what i was wondering, would the pics be immediately uploaded.......because i know people have hookups, was just wondering if there was any kind of workaround to the new system (doesnt seem like there is)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
So basically it's time to try and get recon. :/
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM

This was on the Miata Club forums - and it is IMPORTANT to this discussion!

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...AR19-133.2.pdf

Public hearing on 10/10/2013 @ 11 AM - verbal comments at the hearing or written comments through 10/14/2013. This needs to be spread far and wide and the whole automotive community needs to show up at this hearing.

Check out 19-133.2-14. It gives DOT and County Officials the authority to access the safety check data.

Last edited by avery; 09-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
This was on the Miata Club forums - and it is IMPORTANT to this discussion!

Public hearing on 10/10/2013 @ 11 AM - verbal comments at the hearing or written comments through 10/14/2013. This needs to be spread far and wide and the whole automotive community needs to show up at this hearing.

Check out 19-133.2-14. It gives DOT and County Officials the authority to access the safety check data.
Link not working Avery.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
Link not working Avery.
Woops. This should fix it:

Old 09-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Car Info: STI
Am I reading 19-133.2-28 correctly in that they are removing the bounce test?
Sorry I haven't been really reading up on this much.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Originally Posted by reido
Am I reading 19-133.2-28 correctly in that they are removing the bounce test?
Sorry I haven't been really reading up on this much.
i think this is only for safety check
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Sad day if this comes to pass. I'll fire off a letter for sure.
Thanks Avery.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
From a technology standpoint, I would think that the state has been long overdue for a better "system". So, great. This current proposal would be a step in the right direction considering the safety of our roadways, but what I find laughable is that quite a bit (maybe even a third) of the state's registered vehicles will NOT meet the outlined "safety check" criteria.

Been looking at some cars in traffic lately.. and just thinking to myself... ouch

[vent]
Nahhh.. Just sell your car and buy a Harley. No problem. Cut off the mufflers and just run straight pipes too, if you want. Your choice. You're welcome to ride through any neighborhood at 3am.
[/vent]

Last edited by caterpill; 09-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: New Hawaii Safety Check Procedures