New Hawaii Safety Check Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Car Info: Mazda Miata 1991, STi 2005, 03WRX/98GC, 2.5RS 2000
New Hawaii Safety Check Procedures

Hello I-clubbers,

Has anybody heard about the new Safety Check procedures? How do you think it will impact your Suby Mods?

Regards, Avery
Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by avery
Hello I-clubbers,

Has anybody heard about the new Safety Check procedures? How do you think it will impact your Suby Mods?

Regards, Avery

My soon to be brother inlaw told me the deal. The charge will cost 5$ more, and its going to be a little bit more in depth. Also they are getting Ipads, and have to take pictures of the car, and when they do, the picture is uploaded to prove it does not need recon. So all in all, if you got a modded subie your not going to have a fun time.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Also forgot to mention, the photos are all done real time, and cost the shops 800$ for all the equipment. So they (the shops) have to pay to beable to do the checks, also the safety tags are going to be printed from the inspectors, and this is a 1 year test to see if its a good idea. (we all know its not)
Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 2013 DGM Subaru WRX Limited
^^ are those the only changes or is there a link where we can find all of the changes?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by keonigt
^^ are those the only changes or is there a link where we can find all of the changes?
Its a little more in depth then that, next time i see him i will ask, and see if he knows where all the rules are, or if he has a sheet of what's being inspected now.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
whaaaaaaat? crap. how in depth will they be taking pictures? such as if you raise your car with coils to stock ride height they wont see its aftermarket.

so in other words, this is preventing the places that dont care that much?

Last edited by Jaren 05 STi; 08-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
what devilZdriver said is true. Think of the new test run safety check system as a HUB,all safety check stations are linked. IIRC, when the safety inspector takes a picture via Ipad, the system will do a number of checks to see whether your car is up to par ranging from tint, all the way down to modded suspension. And if you dont meet a certain criteria, it will flag it down and send it to the main system and itll be stored. So when you go to a different safety check station, the main system(HUB) will remember whatever flagged criteria you havent met to obtain your safety check. Thus the role of having a Recon Permit is pretty much a Must.

Now getting your safety check doesnt entail the normal check your headlights, flash your signals, check your reverse lights,etc.etc. IIRC, it goes way deeper! I think they will take a picture around your car.

Last edited by dub81; 08-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 AM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Don't you love living in hawaii? Way to screw the residents of Hawaii into paying more money and regulating our freedom. Its just another money making scheme to pay our already overpaid elected officials and mismangement of funds.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jaren 05 STi
whaaaaaaat? crap. how in depth will they be taking pictures? such as if you raise your car with coils to stock ride height they wont see its aftermarket.

so in other words, this is preventing the places that dont care that much?
Lets be realistic, if you were an inspector and a car comes up to you. Even if it was "stock" ride height, the inspector can tell the difference between coils and shocks and springs. Also the SUPER BLING coming from your wheel well gives it away too. Just sayin i mean it might work though, i made an exhaust for my 78 280z to pass smog in Vegas. 3.1 stroker and instead of triples i swapped to fuel injected and my car was considered "Green" LOL!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Originally Posted by abakja1
Don't you love living in hawaii? Way to screw the residents of Hawaii into paying more money and regulating our freedom. Its just another money making scheme to pay our already overpaid elected officials and mismangement of funds.

Ditto, typical politics. Making a simple "safety check" procedure into a complex, red tape issue. Government blames the 1% of non-compliant vehicles that prompted the change of procedures, while the other 99% get screwed by paying more.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Originally Posted by abakja1
Big that.

Fix our roads, *****es.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Don't get me get started about the police here.... the WORST POLICE FORCE IN THE WORLD.... and i have been to Afghanistan lol. I have reported 15 yes 15 police officers for, Talking while drive on the phone, no safety, no registration, HID's, Illegal tint, blocking traffic, parked in a handi cap stall, trying to pull me over hiding in someones drive way ( i have never seen a police officer act so fast when i said "who is your supervisor, and what is his phone number, and what is your badge number"). Sorry for the rant it just blows my mind. What i was trying to say is.... Hawaii can save even more money and cut wages its not like they do anything anyway, except write chicken **** tickets they are worse then LAPD.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Krang
Big that.

Fix our roads, *****es.
They have been "fixing" our road since May, i live in Wahiawa and its Almost September now and are just making it towards the Kam. I already know that, there are more pot holes and dips then before.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Hmm...this sucks...but...

Sleepers are where its at these days, at least for an OG like me...I have an 05 LGT and 05 FXT (both what I consider sleepers)...other than some after market wheels...and an exhaust on the louder side on my son's FXT...they look pretty stock.

As a "don't mind me officer" look, I threw on the Yakima Load Warrior cargo rack onto the stock rails of the FXT...

The last time I had the bike rack on the LGT...my wife said it made the car look "ordinary"...good sign that it doesn't attract much attention...

and no...I have not been bothered by officers...although for some reason, my LGT (no badges or anything) likes to attract the attention of HEMI's and BMW's...
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
whats going to stop people from photoshopping the picture taken with the ipad? or is the photo going to be like a pdf...once taken, you cant edit?

Quick Reply: New Hawaii Safety Check Procedures