Looking for Good Chinese take out..HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by brento
I like wah kung in mapunapuna next to ranch 99. I also like little village in chinatown on smith street. Also besides "happy days" their is also "nice day" in liliha which is the same owners and tastes pretty much the same.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Nice Day!

Moon Garden is great too!
578 N Vineyard Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1868
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Originally Posted by Krang
Really? Anywhere that isn't Panda Express. In Kaneohe Kin Wah is where I've been going my whole life. The chinese place in kapolei down by home depot is good. Anywhere in china town...Everywhere there are good places.

I second Kin Wah...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx with hta68 1994 Honda accord h22a
Originally Posted by brento
I like wah kung in mapunapuna next to ranch 99. I also like little village in chinatown on smith street. Also besides "happy days" their is also "nice day" in liliha which is the same owners and tastes pretty much the same.
i also like wah kung in 99 ranch. the food is good and i can walk from home if i have to.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
Heyyyy I like Panda Express....
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Car Info: hard in the paint!!!
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Brah, he ain't gonna get takeout at those places.
At least, I don't think he will...
well just tryna show this bradda where the good kine chinese food at. oh yeah on on is good too. it's 10%off take out at happy days till 11am or something li dat.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 04 Subaru WRX STI PSM
Nice im gonna try kin wah Tomorrow night.Gonna bring the family..Hope its good I'll let you know.If not i got a list of other places thanx to you guyz !!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HISTATEOFMIND
well just tryna show this bradda where the good kine chinese food at. oh yeah on on is good too. it's 10%off take out at happy days till 11am or something li dat.
Ah, juss messin with ya!
I do agree with Legends and Royal Garden at the Ala Moana Hotel as having great dim sum though. **** Lam in Chinatown is excellent dim sum too!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Hong Nien in Kalihi got some pretty good lunch plates. Used to go there when I was working by the airport.

2153 North King Street
Honolulu, HI 96819-4553
(808) 845-1008
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Car Info: '86 corolla GT-S/'04 STi
Kin Wah is the best! Also heard Duck Yun in Aina Haina Shopping Center is good too
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
The usually places that my family goes to (we are Haka and Cantonese...I think) are Pauoa Chop Suey, Lin's and that fancier place in McCully with the name escaping me but everyone knows where it is...same side of the road as Rainbow Drive Inn but just a few blocks further inland.

For dim sum my goong goong likes that place in chinatown on King St. Hard to explain but it is south of the international market and a pretty big restaurant...been there for many many years.

God damnit you people are making me want some rice cakes, Kau Yuk and basically all the dim sum dishes...which are the things that they don't serve at any of the restaurants around here.

Last edited by bpang1; 09-03-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 08 sti
my favorite place for dim sum and seafood is Harbor Village Cuisine in Hawaii Kai (Koko Marina) and they offer 10% kamaaina discount
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
First off, mainland chinese cuisine is not cooked by chefs. All those people did something else in China. I grew up eating and loving Chinese food in the mainland, but some of the restaurant were vietnamese owned and cooked. Hell there was even a smith's chinese restaurant. NONE of it was authentic. Any dish with an american name I.E. Happy Family, Dragon and Phoenix, etc. are not eaten by chinese. BROWN sauce does not go on everything. But now I love both. It takes some gettingused to, but the chinese restaurants don't cook the vegetable to oblivion here. You taste the actual food, it is not hidden underthe strong, salty sauces.

Now my reccomendations are joyful garden (the best!) in kaneohe, hong nien in honolulu (kalihi), and for something more mainland chinese food, Asia manoa in manoa (duh..). New Campbell in kaimuki is good. I notice my choices do not match everyone elses here, but my cuz worked at Kin wah, and although i think it is good, to me it is the 3rd best chinese restaurant in kaneohe.

Hawaii cooks cantonese and hong kong style cuisine. Mainland USA restaurants are more northern, sechuan, and hunan, at least per my experience in the south.

Research what you like,don't be lazy, and you will find a restaurant for you. If you are a real foodie you do things like this..................

Last edited by 808subaru; 09-06-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Oh yeah, **** Yuen Seafood in McCully SC (2F) is pretty good too! Thanks for reminding me Blakey (even though I know it wasn't the place you were referring to)! Service can be **** poor though sometimes, so make sure you go when you're in a good mood!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
just call a place, if you can't understand them and they can't understand you then usually the food is good! Just like mexican food, I like the ones in the ghetto when you walk in everyone looks at you funny cause I'm white and you get this death look lol, then you get the food and it's the best ever!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I might as well chime in a bit more since this thread has got going.

My dad's, whom is now retired, has been a chef for years in Cantonese/HK cuisine. Growing up, my tastes has been really strict, and we never go out for Chinese unless it is a banquet and even then, the discussion always in the car is how the food was.

Like I said earlier, local Chinese food isn't authentic. There are a few places out there that are close, and the ones listed here are generally seafood/banquet restaurants.

I absolutely loathe Chinese food. It has to do with the fact that where ever I go, except for a few places, the food is okay, but not spectacular and that I've eaten it every day in my whole life. Even at that, my father always says that locals don't know what good food is, just is told what good food is.

The best 3 of the island:
1) Ming's Chinese Restaurant. Specializes in both Cantonese and Shanghai.
2) Panda Cuisine. Best dim sum in the island period.
3) Mei Sum. Gives Panda Cuisine a run for it's money.

Safe to eat:
1) Moon Garden. Great for dinners.
2) Empress. Good for dim sum. Above average, mostly consistent. Expect Chinese restaurant level service.

Worst 2
Happy Days - Incredibly overrated, inconsistent quality of food, service is absolutely horrible even when I expect Chinese restaurant level service.
Seafood Village - See above

And remember, you deserve a slap in the face if you go to a buffet for Chinese and expect average food.

Next time you go to a ramen shop, you'll notice almost all of them are owned and operated by Chinese people. Why? Chinese Restaurants make very little money. The only way you can make decent amount of money is to have a small chop suey and just churn out take-outs. Even good Chinese chefs start a ramen shop nowdays.

Quick Reply: Looking for Good Chinese take out..HELP PLZ