Kona: I need recs on a good shop or mechanic to fix mod problem

Old 03-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Unhappy Kona: I need recs on a good shop or mechanic to fix mod problem

Aloha all-
I've been working on the mainland on and off during the past year and bought a new WRX wagon there one year ago. I've done the basic engine mods (UP/DP, TBE, Vishnu reflash and dyno) and susp mods incl. STi Brembos. TEIN flex, a bunch of Perrin, etc.

Long story short- the shop that did some of the work on the mainland really fu'ked it up, it only became apparent just before shipping it and now the car's here and I have no idea who (if anyone in West Hawaii) to take it to .

Any recs for shop or mechanic in West Hawaii? I'm having a potentially serious brake issue that I haven't been able to solve. Went by Lex Brodie- asked, "What brake fluid do you use?" He said, "the right one for your car." I said, "No, I use a good, DOT4 fluid, not "generic", etc. and don't want to mix brands/types..." He looked baffled and bothered. I said "Good-bye. I'll go elsewhere."

Also wondered if anyone even has a 4-wheel dyno on the Big Island? (and can tune?) Turns out the guy that dyno-tuned my re-flash had "personal issues" around the time he did my tune and it has been suggested that any car he worked on during that period be re-checked. The car runs great and pulled 206 hp on Mustang dyno but there may be hidden problems not easily seen w/ butt-dyno. Also, there's no question he really screwed up the brake install and possibly other suspension parts. I'm seriously bummed and he's back on the mainland, so there's not a whole lot I can do but just try and fix the problems before they cause more serious damage (like loss of brakes at speed or a wheel falling off). The car ran fine during a track day on mainland before shipping it here, but there is definately somethig serious and it's getting worse.

Thanks so much for any help. I'm prob just gonna start the work myself, but not looking forward to replacing the Perrin PSRS's w/ only jackstands to work under (I think he forgot to grease them- hopefully that accounts for most of the noise problems that seem to be occurring- EXCEPT left front disk is badly scored only 1000 miles after the install w/ new pads!)

mahalos,
norm
Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Hi, just to let you know there is no 4wd dynos in Hawaii.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
sorry to hear about your car.. the only people i can think of is T&J performance, or T&R?? ....anyways speak or ask for Travis..just explain your situation, he may be able to help you out..besides that i know of no other..to be honest with you there's not much reputable places at all on this island..we do all of our stuff at our shop..I MAY be able to provide a shop for ya to come to and we can look at things, but it's in waimea (an hour away) and im moving to oahu in a couple days, so time is VERY tight for me..lemme know and i can see what i can do..good luck
Old 03-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by luktang
Hi, just to let you know there is no 4wd dynos in Hawaii.
why am I not surprised...
though, I thought there would be at least ONE in Oahu- of course, that would mean boat to Oahu (fro car) $500 RT? and then plane to Oahu for me $140 RT. xport from airport to Matson, etc. So, $700 BEFORE even getting any work done!! know there used to be guys in Kona (10 yr ago) that had to ship their exotics (Porsche/Ferrari) over to HNL just for a tune-up!

thanks,
norm
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by nodnarb2785
I MAY be able to provide a shop for ya to come to and we can look at things, but it's in waimea (an hour away) .good luck
THANKS. Bummer. I had the car in Waimea twice last week! I'm going there again later this week butr have to take the truck (to haul hay). Also, I'm not sure I'd trust driving it to Waimea, again. The sound it's making could just be rubbing bushings (need grease) but "might" be much worse. At very least, he installed the front Goodridge SS brake lines akk worng and they are kinked and rubbing almost to the point of shearing (if I had checked it). I think that may also be part of the problem that is occuring. How.why that would be causing all kinds of circular scoring on the front disk I haven't figured out. I'm prob just going to have to take it apart and see.

good luck w/ the move.
norm
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Hey Norm..
I'm on Big Island, in Waimea. To be honest, nodnarb2785 is right(Sato is that you?) We have to do it ourselves here. The Subaru tech in Kona (Gabe) is very good for advanced issues but I would have to ask a friend about the mod's issue. Didn't have a problem when I went there for a brake fluid replacement and my car is modded.

I would be happy to have a look at your car and see if I have any help to offer. Travis is a friend of mine and he is much, much more experienced (professional mechanic-DUH) but I travel the island for work and may be able to stop by. There is an auto-x on March 26th in Hilo. I realize that might be too far but I'll be there and would like to meet ya and have a peek at your car. I usually head to west side at least once a week as well...

There are a few knowledgable folks here, actually most of em are in Kona so... Let me know and we can set something up. Lets get that wagon right! The PSRS is cake to do with jackstands but it sounds like the problem in your Brembos is more serious. Hit me back...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
to add on to this, i'll probably be back in early april to visit/pick up more stuff, if it isn't fixed by then and im back on the big isle i'll be more than glad to offer you a shop we can work at..g'luck again bro
Old 03-16-2006, 12:30 AM

thanks all.
Given the options, I've decided to just do the work myself. (I actually enjoy it, have room and tools- it's just a matter of making the time).

From a similar thread I have going on the Sacramento regional forum (where the trouble started) there have been some good suggestions re the ECU -issue. Some OBD-port software that can log info (and potentially tune) but also the option of just swithcing to a COBB Accessport- not quite the same as a custom dyno-tune, but perhaps better than what I have and certainly safe.

I appreciate all the input.
I'll PM you guys back so as not to clutter the board (further) w/ personal stuff.

norm
Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 AM

Car Info: vf-34'd ewg'd GDA AMS tuned!
PM sent