Kona Brewing Co: Pipeline Porter Kona Coffee Beer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Kona Brewing Co: Pipeline Porter Kona Coffee Beer

Limited release of one of the finest beers I've had in a very long time.

You might know the company for their other beers like Long Board, and Firerock, but this came out just recently as a limited release and it is epic!

It's brewed with 100% Hawaiian Kona Coffee and tastes similar to Samual Adams Cream Stout, only with more of a coffee flavor. I don't really like coffee too much, but mixed with beer or chocolate its great!

Anyway, wanted to give you beer heads some notice, give it a try, you wont be disappointed, it friggin rocks. Here's a picture:

If you haven't had their other beers, I highly recommend their:

Longboard

Firerock

3 great beers, but I strongly urge you to try the pipeline porter since its limited and sort of hard to find as it is... The taste is just perfect for winter, from working on your car, to doing random stuff around the house, its a perfect pick.

I give it a 9.1/10 (one of the highest scoring beers I have ever scored)
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Hey Bruce,

Where to get the brew? I'm thinking BevMo? I've been looking for a good stout.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
i am a huge fan of kona brewing, especially the longboard lager that thing can sneak up on you with drunkeness! And I am used to 7-8% IPA's.

Where can I get this Porter though? That looks like a perfect "it's ****in cold outside!!" kinda beer.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by evsoul
i am a huge fan of kona brewing, especially the longboard lager that thing can sneak up on you with drunkeness! And I am used to 7-8% IPA's.

Where can I get this Porter though? That looks like a perfect "it's ****in cold outside!!" kinda beer.
Got it at BevMo, and also saw it at the Lucky's in Union Landing at UCKK. BevMo is your best bet though, they had a bunch of it.

I wanted to try it out so I only got one 6 pack, since I loved it I'm going to stock up on a couple cases to have so I can mix it up between Pipeline, Longboard, and Firerock. The ultimate collection of beers, the perfect variety.

You guys can thank me later for the goodness that went into this thread.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
I am gonna go to BevMo in a couple hours and pick it up. And I agree if this beer is good then the three make the perfect variety in any fridge.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:48 PM

It's a great beer. I've got some chillin in my fridge right now. I'm also a big fan of Kona Brewing Co. They also have a passion fruit wheat, it's......different, but good.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Akira-R
It's a great beer. I've got some chillin in my fridge right now. I'm also a big fan of Kona Brewing Co. They also have a passion fruit wheat, it's......different, but good.
Whoa, passion fruit heffe? That sounds really micro-brew weird. I've never seen it but I'd be willing to give it a whirl if I can find it. Where'd you get it? I didn't see it at BevMo.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I've never been a fan of Kona Brewing (as I wear a Kona Brewing shirt ) but I'll have to give the coffee one a shot!

oh, and can we get a "Beer Review/Recommendation" BAIC subforum?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
you post this in the beer thread? i'll pick up a 6 tomorrow. looks good.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
We sell it actually. Kona is distributed by Widmer Brewing, which is in turn owned by Budweiser. You can get a Kona pretty much anywhere... safeway, lucky, bevmo, even your mom and pop shops. The porter which Brucelee is loving is actually a seasonal.... so get it while you can !
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
that arrangement is such a win for Budweiser and such a loss for Widmer/former Redhook shareholders
Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I've never been a fan of Kona Brewing (as I wear a Kona Brewing shirt ) but I'll have to give the coffee one a shot!

oh, and can we get a "Beer Review/Recommendation" BAIC subforum?
They have some of the best beers ever, but in the bottle it can be hit or miss - it can get skunky. If you ever end up on the Big Island of Hawaii (where I moved from) then go to Kona and spend an evening at least at the brewery. Their IPA makes me happy in ways I should not discuss. If you also like IPA I can recommend a hotel you can essentially roll down the hill into from the brewery.

However if you are on the Big Island of Hawaii and you do not stop at Mehana Brewing Company in Hilo then you are missing out. This is one of my top 3 breweries - their Pale is just amazing. They don't have a restaurant but they sell growlers and sadly do not export their beers out of Hawaii EXCEPT for the special brew they make for Roy's restaurants...

Here's the Wailua Wheat which is my wife's fav beer (to the right of the Racer5).

Some fools whine about it because it taunts their masculinity to drink a beer w/ passionfruit but honestly it is some seriously tasty stuff especially when it's really hot out and the beer is nice and cold. You can see some in my fridge, but this is from our stash and is possibly the last left in the Bay (since my wife goes to BevMo and buys all of it when it's available).
Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon
We sell it actually. Kona is distributed by Widmer Brewing, which is in turn owned by Budweiser. You can get a Kona pretty much anywhere... safeway, lucky, bevmo, even your mom and pop shops. The porter which Brucelee is loving is actually a seasonal.... so get it while you can !
Come again? I remember when Widmer bought them because I was in Oregon and saw Kona Fire Rock and nearly pooped myself - the barkeep told me it was newly available because Widmer bought them. But Budweiser (I mean Embev) owns them? Seriously?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX PSM WAAGONE & 1967 vee dub squareback
Drinking some longboard right now! I need to get some of the pipeline ASAP. Never tried it but looking forward to it. Bevmo you say. Im going tommorow !
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
That long board goes down like water. I drink that to rehydrate. Good stuff. Some of my favorite beers are the ones I make. Here are a few pics of a Stout I did a while back. I think there is a pic of some Ca. ale fermenting as well.

Ahhhh, the chunky goodness of a strong fermentation...

Any other homebrewers out there? I have a poormans setup at home for brewing. One day I'll get a nice 3 level setup for doing 10 gallons at a time. Right now it's just 5 gallons. I've given up on bottling, it all goes straight to the keg now.

Quick Reply: Kona Brewing Co: Pipeline Porter Kona Coffee Beer