Hawai'i i-club today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Hawai'i i-club today.

Aloha HIIC. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Josh. I have some thoughts I want to put out there for you to shove in your eyes.

I have been a part of Hawaii i-club since the earlier part of 2004. Not old school by any standard, but not fresh to the group either. I have been a part of some very memorable AWESOME experiences with several members of this great chapter over the years. I am forever grateful for those moments, which have made my ownership experience of our boxer-powered fun machines a great one.

Within these years, I have made some very good friends who I will hang out with outside of typically i-club gatherings. From local sports events, to dinners, to drinking, to whatever. HIIC has some great people.

Now comes the subject of "we used to".

Lately, more frequently than before, some senior members have expressed how they miss how things used to be, compared to how things have been for a while now. This is regarding cruises, meats, install days, track events, BBQs, this Hawaii section of the i-club forums, and Hawaii's brotherhood of Subaru in general. Some believe that HIIC is dying a slow death.

Being the eternal optimist I am, I always defend HIIC, saying that it's the nature of any organization for members to come and go and that no matter who you are, your time shall also come and pass. New members are inevitable and are essential for the perpetuation of any legit organization. But so are the veterans. The experienced.

Of course i-club is not what it used to be, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The face is always changing, and it's up to us as a whole to decide what HIIC will be. The veterans are here to show the new guys around and fill them in with the history and depth of who we are as a club. We're not some "crew", but a legit club who has for most of its existence been respected for its involvement with good causes. We also encourage maintaining a responsible reputation out there on the roads.

I know there are several willing members who can and will help keep HIIC strong. Some are new guys who, even without seeing the full strength of i-club, are impressed and excited to be a part of a community with the same passions as they do. I wish for them to experience a lot of the same things I have.

In the past, there have been members who stepped up to take charge of certain events and cruises. For that, I am eternally grateful. Ted, Walter, Gregg, Blake, Jess, myself, Tim (Melht), etc. have over the years planned and ran some seriously huge Subaru cruises. I'm talking like well over 70 Subarus deep, single file on the freeway big. That looked and sounded pretty damned epic.

I realized that we have relied on these planners to hand us our cruises. We have taken for granted that these great events were so carefully planned and executed. We have forgotten that as a club, part of our reputation was that we are a charitable people who had huge cruises to support the Aloha United Way, the Food Bank, and Toys 4 Tots.

Now I will say this:

i-club is not dying. It is not the same, but it is not out. I ask that we bring back some of what used to be so that members can remember and discover what i-club is supposed to be about. I am talking properly planned cruises, install days, BBQs, photoshoots, etc. I know there is a lot of knowledge in the minds of HIIC's members as well as hungry new minds. Let's share some of that.

The Subie community in Hawaii has grown large, but the cohesion has grown weak. All we need is a little bit from everyone to mend that a bit and we can see what I've seen from this club. We have and still can do it big. I just need and want a little help as I can't do this by myself.

I want to plan out the whole 2013 HIIC Cruise Schedule with the help of all who are willing. I want to see some welcoming install days. I want some BBQs because I know we have guys who know how to handle their meat. I want to see i-club cruise like I know they can.

I just want a little bit of how it used to be.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Word... Been saying it for YEARS and its sad that it has finally come to this that josh has to make it a publicly known thing.

I was a n00b once over a decade ago. Did I have what you new members have. HELL NO. you guys have it easy and don't really give a **** that senior members including myself have paved the way to make it as such. Now with that being said... Lets get the uncomfortable things out of the way then shall we.

This has never been a "runumhard" club nor has it been a country club where you get to do what you want and it go unnoticed or unmentioned because you pay ungodly amounts of money for a shinny membership card that says you belong here. -- in all fairness it has been a club where you earn the right to say you are a part of HIIC where I came from.

This has never been about individual gain -- most of what we did as a group included multiple charity events that were publicly and television recognized. Lets out that I to perspective for a moment. People in the UK (yes United Kingdom) would talk about our charity events and put them into their community to see if they can be the same way.

There was always a structure. A hierarchy if you will. That... Is far gone.

My opinion is that this "club" or country club is the pathetic by product of selfishness and what we used to be. This may sound harsh but it's reality. I may not know everyone of you. In fact I know so little about you new members.

Just because I-club is technically free. It doesn't mean when you aren't a representation of this local chapter.

Many years ago it was never that we the Subaru community would ever be even followed or even looked upon by law enforcement because we never acted like idiots on the road and our reputation was as such. Now... We have come to a point where we are now apart of a pool of stereotypes that I find quite disappointing and down right embarrassing to say the least!

Take what I have said personal... I could give a ****. But that just proves another point that the thick skin we HIIC members used to carry has gone away for good and inky pathetic whiners exist.

No it isn't a boot camp nor has it ever been. Respect is earned not given. I don't expect any respect from anyone I don't meet and don't interact. That's just how it is. Act a fool. Expect to be treated and dealt with like a fool.

Josh. For your sake. I hope things turn around. Good luck buddy. I hysterically laugh at the reference of "active members" and how it's used today. Lets see If that changes in 2013
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Touche!

Josh hate to break to you.... even tho we "Arent" old skool we are old skool compared to who is actually still around....

I can help with install days. The only thing I dont like about install days with the new school guys is...... im expected to do all the work for free.

If you plan on having us install your parts and you dont want to help then please understand I/we will charge you. (Yes some ppls prefer to pay so yes drop off your car and I can get it done bawahahaha)

Where here to help you not hold your hand. Now if you wanna learn and get your feet wet and have no problem asking for help or pointers then bring food or drinks and will turn it into a bbq/install day

So ill put it out there. Im down to host a Install day/ BBQ at my home. I have tools to do most of what you want to do even some special tools( wink wink)

Post up some stuff you wanna install/learn to do well set it up no problem!

PS if you looking to buy parts i can get that too at good deals and we can install those items also!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
ill be glad to host a install/bbq day/maintenance day....and even have a waterfall hike in the backyard for those who wanna take a dip...

just let me know....
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY

As a n00b I would like to thank the old skoolers. Without your tips, tricks, wisdom, and even flaming trolling I wouldnt be where I see myself today with my subaru. I am still a complete n00b but definitely have progressed.

LOVE YOU GUYZ!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
i agree. im a noob and havent been able to attend recent meats/events, but i would love to attend and help c0ordinate these gatherings to help create the memories that you all have.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Here here! I need to get out more anyway, lets do some shiet!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Car Info: S14
Man U guys are old hahaha. All joking aside, I've never meet a cooler group of guys then these guys here, someone is always willing to lend a helping hand. I haven't own a Subaru in a while, yet I still come on here or at times drop by at the "meats". Have nothing else to say since all bases have been touched already. Carry on guys, jus a noob stopping by.

Last edited by inspire420; 12-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Like Josh, I've been around since picking up my 04 STI in 2003...there are a few of us still around...cruises used to be huge...and very organized. Install days were a blast...I hosted one at my house for my birthday...been there and done that...even organized a few cruises bag in the days...modding my car(s) since day 1...

Josh has been a stable member for many years...everyone needs to experience helping out I-Club...get involved, volunteer your time with Josh...host an install day at your house...

Looking forward to many more years...

Thanks Josh...
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM

It's not just about hosting install days. It's also not about showing up. This club used to mean something. Stable is an understatement but sure. Many of you think that things are just that simple or you just need to be present to be active. WRONG.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Oh settle down Jon...
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Island Style
Oh settle down Jon...
Really Brent. Cause I can say a number of things that'll make things a lot more real in here. The facts are the facts and josh stated them clearly. This club is a mockery of what used to be. Josh wants things to be how they were and unfortunately things riled up is the only way it'll be that way.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 subaru impreza wrx sti
i have only been a member for about 6 months, but really enjou spending time wiyh the guys that i get to, that being said i would to see what it used to be like love to listen to josh talk about how it used to be! i am still a noob my self when it comes to subies but experinced when it comes to cars in general,and just from listening to conversations held at meets i know there is alot to learn and would lime to learn.also when iy comes to charities we should all try and do what we can no matter our baxk groud old skool or new skool chatities are something that shows as a group we care about the bigger picture and thats one of the things i like most about i club we are about the bigger picture !
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
I've been a member of I-club since I got my subie earlier this year in cali. I recently moved here a few months ago due to a pcs move for the Army. Since I've been here I've been meaning to get out to one of yall events but fear it may just be like the previous groups I've met in GA where all everyone does is talk about the illegal street racing they do and want to do. I am going to be honest, I have the urge and have opened it up and gone over in 60 mph zones, but never when there is traffic around or to race another vehicle.... Just to feel her pull every now and then. I'm a old ***, am married now, and have 3 kids, so I don't participate in the dumb **** that gives the import car community its bad rep. Let me know whats up and I will try my best to participate in whatever events yall plan.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Originally Posted by moto96793
I've been a member of I-club since I got my subie earlier this year in cali. I recently moved here a few months ago due to a pcs move for the Army. Since I've been here I've been meaning to get out to one of yall events but fear it may just be like the previous groups I've met in GA where all everyone does is talk about the illegal street racing they do and want to do. I am going to be honest, I have the urge and have opened it up and gone over in 60 mph zones, but never when there is traffic around or to race another vehicle.... Just to feel her pull every now and then. I'm a old ***, am married now, and have 3 kids, so I don't participate in the dumb **** that gives the import car community its bad rep. Let me know whats up and I will try my best to participate in whatever events yall plan.
Your in the right place because street racing is a HUGE no no in this community. If its something a person does it is not to be mentioned here or with the group at meats. Do it often and people will pretty much start to ignore that person. Heck mentions of Tantalus are right up there. We talk a lot about stuff unrelated to cars. Military shares stories and locals share the old days here. As for the mention of the 60mph. Who doesn't. I know my car is down from something similar.

Quick Reply: Hawai'i i-club today.