Gauge install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Gauge install help

Hi everyone,
I have a 2002 wrx and I'm looking at installing a few gauges. 6 in total Right now I just have the boost gauge hooked up. I have oil pressure, fuel pressure, ext temp, water temp and afr. I have everything I need to get all of it done. Im pretty sure I could do it but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and would be super stoked if someone that has experience doing this could give me a hand. I just did a stage 3 upgrade and getting tuned this Friday. I'd like to at least get the afr gauge in before then. Beer and food is on me! Lemmy know if anyone can help😊
Aloha
Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Huntercw2003
Hi everyone,
I have a 2002 wrx and I'm looking at installing a few gauges. 6 in total Right now I just have the boost gauge hooked up. I have oil pressure, fuel pressure, ext temp, water temp and afr. I have everything I need to get all of it done. Im pretty sure I could do it but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and would be super stoked if someone that has experience doing this could give me a hand. I just did a stage 3 upgrade and getting tuned this Friday. I'd like to at least get the afr gauge in before then. Beer and food is on me! Lemmy know if anyone can help😊
Aloha
Cricket.. Cricket
Old 04-26-2016, 01:23 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Installing gauges is a great way for you to learn about your car in a setting where you have very little chance of breaking anything! You should take this opportunity to explore!

Try installing one per day? Take plenty of time and do it right, zip tie the wires, and line everything up nicely the first time.

Also, make sure you really do have everything you will need:
- EGT bung to weld on the headers? You want to weld it on the #3 cyl as it gets the hottest.
- Sandwitch plate or npt adapter for a block tap for the oil pressure?

Possibly consider not installing some of those gauges, with oil pressure, AFR, and boost, you can monitor just about everything else because those three variables effect the rest ( except fuel pressure, which is static and really doesn't to ever be measured in real time for the most part )
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by Krang
Installing gauges is a great way for you to learn about your car in a setting where you have very little chance of breaking anything! You should take this opportunity to explore!

Try installing one per day? Take plenty of time and do it right, zip tie the wires, and line everything up nicely the first time.

- EGT bung to weld on the headers? You want to weld it on the #3 cyl as it gets the hottest.

Possibly consider not installing some of those gauges, with oil pressure, AFR, and boost, you can monitor just about everything else because those three variables effect the rest ( except fuel pressure, which is static and really doesn't to ever be measured in real time for the most part )
Ryan,

recently went through this again... I used to do cylinder #3 as well... however, most recently it was brought to my attention that cylinder #4 is a better choice since it's the leanest and last cylinder to get fuel. I ended up going that route as well. EGT temperatures are lower on that side.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Good to know, I'm going to have to do this again soonish myself!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Krang

I hear you. I got the other gauges more for looks, and now I'm kinda thinking its more work than its worth. Thank you
Old 04-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
Ryan,

recently went through this again... I used to do cylinder #3 as well... however, most recently it was brought to my attention that cylinder #4 is a better choice since it's the leanest and last cylinder to get fuel. I ended up going that route as well. EGT temperatures are lower on that side.
Thank you for the heads up