Cell phone companies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:13 AM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Cell phone companies?

What cell phone companies do yall use? I have been told by 2 people at Cingular there is service and 2 there isnt.

Just wondering what everyone uses.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:17 AM

i use t-mobile and i get great reception all across the island
Old 02-06-2003, 11:22 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
When I moved here in May, there was no Cingular. Even the Cingular website now does not acknowledge Hawaii.

I myself have had voicestream(now TMobile) for over 4 years now. I think someone here on the board sells Nextel too. It's a tradeoff no matter where you go. I preferred Voicestream over Nextel when I lived in WA as the coverage was much much better. I had a nextel from work that I carried around along with my voicestream phone. On the way to Oregon the Nextel coverage was spotty and then in Canada it would go into roaming mode. But being in Hawaii it's not that bad until you get to the outer islands. My Voicestream also had some dead spots in the outer islands.

I think the best company in the hawaiian islands is probably Verizon as they are the sole telco in Hawaii and have a bit of a monopoly. Verizon is what I use for my work cell phone.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by teiva-boy
When I moved here in May, there was no Cingular. Even the Cingular website now does not acknowledge Hawaii.

I myself have had voicestream(now TMobile) for over 4 years now. I think someone here on the board sells Nextel too. It's a tradeoff no matter where you go. I preferred Voicestream over Nextel when I lived in WA as the coverage was much much better. I had a nextel from work that I carried around along with my voicestream phone. On the way to Oregon the Nextel coverage was spotty and then in Canada it would go into roaming mode. But being in Hawaii it's not that bad until you get to the outer islands. My Voicestream also had some dead spots in the outer islands.

I think the best company in the hawaiian islands is probably Verizon as they are the sole telco in Hawaii and have a bit of a monopoly. Verizon is what I use for my work cell phone.

Hope that helps a little.
Yep sure does help. Much appreciated. I was looking at Verizon so will probably go with them once I get there.

What hispeed internet does everyone use? I saw something about Oceanic or something? I cant do without my hispeed for very long...
Old 02-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Most of "us" use nextel
Old 02-06-2003, 11:54 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Oceanic Road Runner is not too shabby for most home users and business users. It is also much cheaper then DSL in most regards to cost vs peformance.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Nextel here too. Gotta love the prank possibilities with direct connect!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
Nextel here too. Gotta love the prank possibilities with direct connect!
So whats that direct connect? I mean if Im sitting at a girlie bar and my wife does that will the phone just start squawking like a walkie-talkie? I just cant see using that. Do you just have to have their phone number and anyone can direct connect to you? Sounds scary, and yet fun at the same time. =)
Old 02-06-2003, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I have nextel also it costs a little more than all the others but wouldnt trade it for the world
Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by DaveWRX
So whats that direct connect? I mean if Im sitting at a girlie bar and my wife does that will the phone just start squawking like a walkie-talkie? I just cant see using that. Do you just have to have their phone number and anyone can direct connect to you? Sounds scary, and yet fun at the same time. =)
It doesn't work like that....there are ways to avoid someone just starting a conversation without you answering their call first.

If you want, PM me when you are close to getting here...I can get you information on all the different cell companies Hawaii has...I can try to get you a good deal.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Originally posted by Ditchhanger
I can get you information on all the different cell companies Hawaii has...I can try to get you a good deal.
You have a PM. It's time.
-Greg
Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Ditchhanger
It doesn't work like that....there are ways to avoid someone just starting a conversation without you answering their call first.

If you want, PM me when you are close to getting here...I can get you information on all the different cell companies Hawaii has...I can try to get you a good deal.
I will be there tomorrow. =) Will PM you now...
Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by EtchyLives
You have a PM. It's time.
-Greg
=)