accessport question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx
accessport question

really thinking about going stage 1/2 but i wanted to wait till the warranty is up... anyone know if servco here can tell if you flashed your ecu?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 06 sti
Yes they can tell if you have flashed your ecu but your still protected under the magnuson moss act.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Originally Posted by k3k0a
really thinking about going stage 1/2 but i wanted to wait till the warranty is up... anyone know if servco here can tell if you flashed your ecu?
For the most part subi-love is right, they can tell. BUT I know they only started to code the ECU's after a certain year, I can't remember what year but if you are referring to a 2004 WRX you might be in the clear.

Originally Posted by subi-love
Yes they can tell if you have flashed your ecu but your still protected under the magnuson moss act.
I understand that the magnuson moss act refers to warranties but if you alter the ECU doesn't it void the warranty on the ECU? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM

Yes it does void the warranty on the ecu. If you are worried about your warranty then I would recommend not molding anything your not financially able or willing to fix on your own. I had good luck with my dealership when I had a warranty and would take it in still flashed with my tunes and the dealer never cared, so it also depends on the dealership and if they are willing to over look things.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx
i got a 2011 sti, the 2004 wrx was my old car never update em since i came back... i already had a cel and had to go back for a reflash. just wanted to know if anyone had any experience bringing a car back un-married to the dealership
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by k3k0a
i got a 2011 sti, the 2004 wrx was my old car never update em since i came back... i already had a cel and had to go back for a reflash. just wanted to know if anyone had any experience bringing a car back un-married to the dealership
Yes they can tell.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 AM
Technical Know-It-All

And your point is? They aren't going to deny coverage of his window motors over it, but more power than stock can lead to basically any powertrain warranty denial.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
And your point is? They aren't going to deny coverage of his window motors over it, but more power than stock can lead to basically any powertrain warranty denial.
Point being that just because you mod you vehicle don't mean a dealer can automatically deny any warranty claims. No one ever spoke of powertrain warranty or Window motors specifically.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Point being that just because you mod you vehicle don't mean a dealer can automatically deny any warranty claims.
are you high? automatic or not they will still likely deny the claim if the aftermarket part "contributed" to the covered parts failure.

No one ever spoke of powertrain warranty or Window motors specifically.
again put down the pipe. the window motors was an example of something that would not be linked to the ecu and thus would be honored and if you think reflashing the ecu doesn't affect the powertrain then you really don't know what you're doing.

bottom line is if you're going to mod then just expect that any claim will be denied. you gotta pay to play so be prepared to pony up the $.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2013 DGM Subaru WRX Limited
Sorry for resurrecting a month old thread.

I was reading up on nasioc, and the cobb user repeatedly exclaimed that the dealer would know when you flashed, but they wouldn't know if you flashed with AccessPort. So could you argue with the dealer that you just disconnected the battery because you were working on an electrical issue? Or for the newer models the dealers just automatically know that it was flashed with AP?

I'm guessing they would just try to ask you if you used AP?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by keonigt
Sorry for resurrecting a month old thread.

I was reading up on nasioc, and the cobb user repeatedly exclaimed that the dealer would know when you flashed, but they wouldn't know if you flashed with AccessPort. So could you argue with the dealer that you just disconnected the battery because you were working on an electrical issue? Or for the newer models the dealers just automatically know that it was flashed with AP?

I'm guessing they would just try to ask you if you used AP?
If I had to make an educated guess, newer Subarus might have start counters. Either way, even Cobb has acknowledged that Subaru can tell if the ECU has been flashed even if unmarried.