General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Need help with rear sway bar install please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2008 Impreza 2.5i
Need help with rear sway bar install please.

Hi,

This is supposed to be one of, if not the, easiest mod. I agree that it should. My car is an 2008 Impreza 2.5i. Being non-WRX, non-STI, it doesn't have a rear sway bar. So I ordered up the front/rear bars along with rear endlink kit from Rallitek.

Problems: no endlink bolts were included to fasten the endlinks to the control arm. They told me to get them from the dealer (after insisting to me on the phone before I ordered that all fasteners were included, that I would not need to buy anything else). Got 'em from local dealer, turned out nut does not fit the bolt.

Fortunately, I had this lying around, which does fit the bolt.

Do I need a washer with it, and Loctite?

So now, the bar is up, endlinks connected to control arm, bar connected to endlinks. However, the sway bar bushing & bracket is too far from the mount,

I asked on another forum, was advised to fasten the bushings & brackets first, then do the endlink-sway bar connection, and I did. See the brackets bolted to the mount

Of course, now the hole at the end of the bar is too far forward of the endlink bolt. I managed to force the driver's side bolt into the hole a little bit

However, the passenger's side is still off, as seen in the photo below

Should the bolt that fastens endlink to sway bar fit in the hole PASSIVELY? The car is on ramps, suspension is loaded at driving height. I THINK I can really force the bolt on the passenger's side to go into the sway bar's hole, but is that OK? I'm considering returning everything to Rallitek and get something else. They haven't returned my email or call. I hope I'm wrong and the rear bar is the correct part for my car. I haven't even started on the front bar replacement yet.

Thanks a lot for any advice
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Is that a Progress Bar?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Car Info: FUPA RIDER!
hey is your car jacked up or on rhino ramps or on the ground?it makes a big difference
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 2000 2 door RS/ daily driver vtech
lift the car with a jack, that should get rid of the force or tension on the bar....have a friend lift up the tire while you try to aline the end link into the hole...make sure not to bang it in cause you will f*** up the tread and then youll have I bigger problem....good luck Iam pretty sure other people use diferent methods so just use comon sence....
Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

By the looks of it the suspension is unloaded. It's best to do this while the suspension is loaded.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 2008 Impreza 2.5i
The 2 rear wheels are on ramps, so suspension is loaded. The sway bar is this http://www.rallitek.com/rafrreswbark.html

Late last night, I decided to give it one final shot, before packing everything up to return. I was able to bolt everything up. Drove to work this morning, car behaves beautifully.

Thanks for all your replies, appreciate it!

2008 Impreza 2.5i: RA mudflaps, Kartboy SS & bushings, STI pink springs, Rallitek rear sway bar, front bar getting installed next week. Looking for rims/performance tires.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

By the looks of it. Rallitek has contracted Progress to make their sways. Progess makes absolute ish. Many of your problems might be the Progresses lack of attention to a proper fit. Call Rallitek and ask them who makes their sways.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Good to hear you got it together.