General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

2009 WRX Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
top mount intercoller
Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Originally Posted by doc_randy
Changing the map using an AP does alter the boost pressure. The Cobb Stage 1 map peaks at 15.5 psi...which is a substantial increase over stock.

Oh...and doing anything to your engine such as mapping with an AP can get your warranty voided. It depends on your priorities. If you can't stand the risk, then leave the engine stock. It makes really nice power stock, and your money is better spent on handling anyways. Once again...opinions may vary.
Well it varies on the map you use. 15.5 isnt used in all of the maps especially not in the valet map. And You can always reload the stock map when you take it in. So it wont void the warranty. AP'd mine and reloaded the stock maps for a check up and I was fine.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by doc_randy
Well...it is worth noting that there is a more than random trend for some WRX's built before Oct08 to spin a rod bearing. The assumption here is that the guy wants to mod his engine. If you have a problem with what I suggested, then it would be worthwhile for you to post something constructive.
Ok...Its not proven that its just engines with the build date pre Oct 08. As later build dates are purchased and the mileage is racked there is more spun rod bearing cases. We thought is was just pre 10/08, but then someone with a build date of 10/08 spun a bearing, now we're waiting for the next builds, crossing our fingers. There is a guy that even went through two motors, stock!

Cobb Access Port...yikes! Lets put a map that works with all 09's, thats safe! The real way? A wideband and a real time tune, the mods are up to you. But, I suggest keeping it all JDM parts, i.e. japanparts.com. Why again? The nastiest thing about the AccessPorts and the maps people run is this thing called an Advance Multiplier. This thing has a range of 0 to 16 and Cobb maps runs it at 16 constant. This means your timing is going to run the most advance it can run all the time. When the engine knocks, the stock tune will pull timing, but not the Cobb map. They have to guarantee you power some how. IMO, pure engine damage. Taking on knock for more power is not a smart way to tune a car.

Keep it Cusco, and Zero Sports.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by ScoobySon
Ok...Its not proven that its just engines with the build date pre Oct 08. As later build dates are purchased and the mileage is racked there is more spun rod bearing cases. We thought is was just pre 10/08, but then someone with a build date of 10/08 spun a bearing, now we're waiting for the next builds, crossing our fingers. There is a guy that even went through two motors, stock!

Cobb Access Port...yikes! Lets put a map that works with all 09's, thats safe! The real way? A wideband and a real time tune, the mods are up to you. But, I suggest keeping it all JDM parts, i.e. japanparts.com. Why again? The nastiest thing about the AccessPorts and the maps people run is this thing called an Advance Multiplier. This thing has a range of 0 to 16 and Cobb maps runs it at 16 constant. This means your timing is going to run the most advance it can run all the time. When the engine knocks, the stock tune will pull timing, but not the Cobb map. They have to guarantee you power some how. IMO, pure engine damage. Taking on knock for more power is not a smart way to tune a car.

Keep it Cusco, and Zero Sports.
I have a few concerns.

1. I'm quite curious to know where you are getting your information regarding COBB and their Dynamic Advance Multiplier? In case you're wondering, the DAM should be at 1.0 if the tune is safe. And with any OTS map I've run, I've sure enough been at 1.0. Also, from what I understand and have experienced, COBBs AccessPORT maps do not defeat any of the safety features found on the stock ECU, that includes pulling timing when knock occurs.

2. Stick to JDM parts? What's wrong with American? Just because something is Japanese, does not make it superior in quality. For example, the best exhaust system I've ever used or laid eyes on is made by Custom Performance Engineering, right here in the U.S.A. And anyone who has seen their pieces will agree. I think it's a bit unfair to suggest JDM only when there are some great American companies that build quality goods right here, from scratch.

Last edited by Boost Addict; 05-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 AM

Well, true. Haven't done extensive research on using a Cobb Access Port, Only have watched my friends bugeye using a Cobb map stay constant at 16, not to impressive. Plus, previously owning a blown tacoma, there is no way any supercharged TRD blower would be caught using a prefab'ed map like Cobb sells to Subie owners. IMO, wideband tuning is the safest and most reliable tune to gain the most power with the least knock.

Why use a wideband? Full throttle tuning only tunes 1/5th to 1/6th of the available map area. Part throttle where you spend most of your driving time and is the most common area for complaints. (poor fuel economy, roughness, stumbling) Very few dynos are capable holding a constant load for part throttle tuning. Dynos do not accurately represent real world conditions like under-hood airflow at speed and RAM air effects. Typically you car will run leaner off the dyno than on by about 3/10ths of a point.

If you are running closed loop and your part throttle fuelling is incorrect, your full throttle fuelling will be affected. Another good reason to tune part throttle correctly.

Using a wideband in on road conditions will enable more accurate fuel tuning. This does not replace dyno tuning, but augments it.

Looking on Custom Performace Engineering's website, http://www.cp-e.com/, I can't find any 08-09 Subaru exhaust systems.

Regardless, where it is manufactured can be argued to death. But, it seems Japan brings their race cars overseas, wideband tune them at the track and compete against our Japanese cars pumped with US manufactured and Dyno tuned in a shop. What are the results then? And I don't think the winners they are using Cobb Access Ports.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 AM
VIP Member

Well, true. Haven't done extensive research on using a Cobb Access Port, Only have watched my friends bugeye using a Cobb map stay constant at 16, not to impressive. Plus, previously owning a blown tacoma, there is no way any supercharged TRD blower would be caught using a prefab'ed map like Cobb sells to Subie owners. IMO, wideband tuning is the safest and most reliable tune to gain the most power with the least knock.

Why use a wideband? Full throttle tuning only tunes 1/5th to 1/6th of the available map area. Part throttle where you spend most of your driving time and is the most common area for complaints. (poor fuel economy, roughness, stumbling) Very few dynos are capable holding a constant load for part throttle tuning. Dynos do not accurately represent real world conditions like under-hood airflow at speed and RAM air effects. Typically you car will run leaner off the dyno than on by about 3/10ths of a point.

If you are running closed loop and your part throttle fuelling is incorrect, your full throttle fuelling will be affected. Another good reason to tune part throttle correctly.

Using a wideband in on road conditions will enable more accurate fuel tuning. This does not replace dyno tuning, but augments it.

Looking on Custom Performace Engineering's website, http://www.cp-e.com/, I can't find any 08-09 Subaru exhaust systems.

Regardless, where it is manufactured can be argued to death. But, it seems Japan brings their race cars overseas, wideband tune them at the track and compete against our Japanese cars pumped with US manufactured and Dyno tuned in a shop. What are the results then? And I don't think the winners they are using Cobb Access Ports.
CP-E does not make anything for the Subaru WRX. I'm just suggesting that a product doesn't have to be JDM to be superior.

About the AccessPORT. It appears you might be thinking that the AccessPORT only contains pre-tuned maps. The Off The Shelf tunes won't provide the best possible gain, but it's still a step up from the stock tune. The actual transitioning between Closed and Open loop fueling remains unchanged. In fact, while running in Closed Loop, the engine will operate at oem-like AFRs. Once you step into Open Loop, that's when the tune plays it's part and leans out the mixture to provide the best power. Anyone who runs any tune on their car should be ensuring that their AFRs stay safe, knock remains minimal and the timing continues to advance as operation continues smoothly. If detonation occurs, the ECU will pull timing, AccessPORT or not. With the AccessPORT, rev limits still exist, along with 'limp home' mode and all other safety parameters, including but not limited to boost cut.

Where the AccessPORT really shines is when it is used as a tool for custom tuning. And yes, by that I mean using readings from the MAF sensor and wideband just like you suggest. Is it possible that you're confusing the AccessPORT as a piggyback unit preloaded with parameter adjustments? In Japan, most vehicles are tuned by devices just like the AccessPORT. Call it something proprietary, or call it something that's Open Source, the purpose of the tool is to provide the ability to make adjustments to the tune. A good tuner will know how to maximize the gains while keeping parameters safe. To further support your claim, here is a older dyno plot of my car before my turbo swap. The car only had a Downpipe and Catback Exhaust. The BLUE line represents my custom tune, which makes the most power and makes it the safest. The BOLD GREEN line is an Off The Shelf map from Perrin Performance, which still carries a power gain over stock, but not necessarily the most efficient tune. And the THIN GREEN line is Stock.

Name:  WRXchurchdyno01.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  133.4 KB

Last edited by Boost Addict; 05-19-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
one thing to add and FYI, even cusco in JP is using and selling the AP unit.

alan'09
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Well, good luck with the AccessPorts. I'll be getting a tune with this software.

Well, might as well add some more $hit thats going on pretty soon.

Cusco Coilovers
Cusco Front Sway
Rear Sway

I like this site. Pink JDM oil filter for $30, ouch.

I'll keep my engine under warranty for now, since I'am on my second one.

Last edited by ScoobySon; 05-19-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
VIP Member

Well, good luck with the AccessPorts. I'll be getting a tune with this software.

Well, might as well add some more $hit thats going on pretty soon.

Cusco Coilovers
Cusco Front Sway
Rear Sway

I like this site. Pink JDM oil filter for $30, ouch.

I'll keep my engine under warranty for now, since I'am on my second one.
Haha, cool. Goodluck man!

I just ordered some BC Coilovers BR-Series with Custom Spring Rates of 445 fr and 445 rr. Hoping to dial in some negative camber up front and get some rotation going on this bad boy.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Haha, cool. Goodluck man!

I just ordered some BC Coilovers BR-Series with Custom Spring Rates of 445 fr and 445 rr. Hoping to dial in some negative camber up front and get some rotation going on this bad boy.
What about the ones with the external res?

BC Racing?

I like these because they are affordable, but going Super JDM, lol.

Oh Yeah!... Here is the link for the 09 Spun Rod bearing thread

Last edited by ScoobySon; 05-20-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Iam going to bring up a topic... Intakes ... yes, I am sorry.

Story starts with a purchase of an AEM Intake...

http://www.aempower.com/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=143

Question is... Safe to run? Here is some links I found...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=23090188

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...w-grb-sti.html

http://www.driveperformance.subaru.c...reza_parts.asp

I remember reading somewhere that someone data logged with this intake and all the readings were good except for a crazy lean after 6k RPM but I can't find that link right now.

Another note is this intake was prototyped along with the SPT catback as shown in the third link. Being that SPT and AEM teamed up on this research, this intake seems pretty legit.

Iam not running the intake currently...just chillin in my garage.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5-door
That AEM intake, along with the K&N, are two of the better 3G WRX intakes. If/when you decide to install it, you want to get it tuned ASAP. The $ you spent on the intake will be wasted unless you dial in your tune for that specific intake.
My experience/opinion of worthy mods for the 3G WRX (in order):
1. downpipe or turbo-back exhaust w/ an AP or open source custom tune (I've used both & prefer OS as it's cheaper than an AP)
2. Replace soft OEM chassis & suspension bushings
3. Beefier swaybars
4. meth injection and/or equal length headers
5. CAI
You may get better answers to you questions @ 3GWRX.com
Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
im in Santa Rosa with my silver 09 hatch. we ahve meets at walmart in RP if ur ever around.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 09 wrx
hey here's a sound clip (kinda) of my car and i was wondering if anyone knew what that high pitch tapping sound is. i just noticed it and i know the lower pitch is just the normal subie noise.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 09 wrx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGc_nlwdlPs

crap cant in bed it.. grr

Quick Reply: 2009 WRX Mods???