General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

2009 WRX Mods???

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 2009 subaru wrx
2009 WRX Mods???

So, I just bought my first Subie WRX and am loving it! I wanted to know what simple power mods any of you have made? I'm looking for info. on things like re-flashing the computer etc.

Thanks!

Michael
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX Wagon, and 99 RS
Originally Posted by 2009 subaru wrx
So, I just bought my first Subie WRX and am loving it! I wanted to know what simple power mods any of you have made? I'm looking for info. on things like re-flashing the computer etc.

Thanks!

Michael
Hi Michael,
So first thing is break in the engine. I would say wait at least until 2k before doing anything. Change oil at 2k (no synthetic until 6k)....opinions may vary on this.

Now I did my mods at 2k, but looking back, I would probably wait until 6k. I take a "best bang for the buck" approach, so first on the list is a downpipe and tune. Any engine mods require a tune! I had put on a TMIC, but it ended up hitting the clutch cylinder, and damaging the TMIC...so I would be really careful about that. I suspect that the TMIC's that are out there are really designed for a Legacy, and marketed for 09 WRX. Take your car to Ed at EQ Tuning if you are in Northern California. Again, opinions may vary, but Ed is a good guy, and a smart tuner. Now, I had to take off the TMIC, but I was getting a gain of about 30 WHP. I am probably at 20 WHP since we took of the TMIC, and turned down the boost a bit.

Watch out for venders selling you crap you don't need. You do not need an intake. You do not need any sort of pullys. You do not need a new exhaust if you are not going over 17psi of boost (Just my opinion, so ask Ed about this...he will know).

So downpipe and tune is your best bet. is should be about $900-$1000. Also, you NEED swaybars. Many types out there, I have the Whiteline ones. Group N engine and tranny mounts make the car feel a lot better, but increase noise quite a bit...so this one is up to you. Call Clint or Tony at TurnInConcepts for advice on all things mount/suspension/handling related. Very good guys.

Hope this helps!
Randy

Last edited by doc_randy; 05-06-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Congrasts on your first Subaru and nice choice withe the wrx

Ill second going with a downpipe and a tune. Those are probably the two fastest/easiest mods to do. Although if you plan on doing more engine mods: up pipe, bigger turbo, injectors, headers.... i would do everything at once then get the tune. If you just do a downpipe and a tune then later add more engine mods you have to get another tune, costing you more money.

If you are in Nor Cal I have heard both good and bad things about Ed@eq, there is also Paul@Dbtuned (about 25mins out of Sac) and that is where I have taken my car.

All and all welcome to the boards and good luck getting your car just the way you want it
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
ohhh nice a 09 =p
Id go with dp + tune, but what helps alot are the sway bars. Get those asap =)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Sweet! Thank you for the tips! Any advice on the Cobb flash programmer?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ive got cobb Accessport V2 and im very happy with it
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
wow i wonder how much hp a stage 2 09 wrx will be pushing..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by doc_randy
Hi Michael,
So first thing is break in the engine. I would say wait at least until 2k before doing anything. Change oil at 2k (no synthetic until 6k)....opinions may vary on this.

Now I did my mods at 2k, but looking back, I would probably wait until 6k. I take a "best bang for the buck" approach, so first on the list is a downpipe and tune. Any engine mods require a tune! I had put on a TMIC, but it ended up hitting the clutch cylinder, and damaging the TMIC...so I would be really careful about that. I suspect that the TMIC's that are out there are really designed for a Legacy, and marketed for 09 WRX. Take your car to Ed at EQ Tuning if you are in Northern California. Again, opinions may vary, but Ed is a good guy, and a smart tuner. Now, I had to take off the TMIC, but I was getting a gain of about 30 WHP. I am probably at 20 WHP since we took of the TMIC, and turned down the boost a bit.

Watch out for venders selling you crap you don't need. You do not need an intake. You do not need any sort of pullys. You do not need a new exhaust if you are not going over 17psi of boost (Just my opinion, so ask Ed about this...he will know).

So downpipe and tune is your best bet. is should be about $900-$1000. Also, you NEED swaybars. Many types out there, I have the Whiteline ones. Group N engine and tranny mounts make the car feel a lot better, but increase noise quite a bit...so this one is up to you. Call Clint or Tony at TurnInConcepts for advice on all things mount/suspension/handling related. Very good guys.

Hope this helps!
Randy
Yeah...do all this and cross your fingers you dont spin a rod bearing. And dont do any research yourself, listen to this guy.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
Well also note you void you engine warranty I believe if you install a DP. I say you...
Cobb AP
Turbo Inlet hose

But using the Cobb AP is a breeze seriously it is the best bang for your buck. Changing maps is quick. If you buy Perrin's AP and you buy Perrin's DP or other parts you get the free maps to tune it. Also I believe there is a setting to custom tune your ECU w/o the limitations.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2010 997.2 GT3
But also your turbo is close to being maxed out at optimal efficiency so I suggest getting a TMIC but also get a new DP because the stock 3rd gens have a dead plate for the wastegate exhaust. But handling wise Endlinks, swaybars, bushings and strut brace for the front only are great to have. The rear strut brace I heard has not much of an effect on our cars. Oh if your car doesnt have a SS then put one in or replace the bushings to get a crisp feel. Just my .02
PS: don't touch the boost pressure.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobySon
Yeah...do all this and cross your fingers you dont spin a rod bearing. And dont do any research yourself, listen to this guy.
Well...it is worth noting that there is a more than random trend for some WRX's built before Oct08 to spin a rod bearing. The assumption here is that the guy wants to mod his engine. If you have a problem with what I suggested, then it would be worthwhile for you to post something constructive.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Imprezard
PS: don't touch the boost pressure.
Changing the map using an AP does alter the boost pressure. The Cobb Stage 1 map peaks at 15.5 psi...which is a substantial increase over stock.

Oh...and doing anything to your engine such as mapping with an AP can get your warranty voided. It depends on your priorities. If you can't stand the risk, then leave the engine stock. It makes really nice power stock, and your money is better spent on handling anyways. Once again...opinions may vary.

Last edited by doc_randy; 05-08-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
u can also run open source tune, saves you the $700 on a cobb ap.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
wow i wonder how much hp a stage 2 09 wrx will be pushing..
I got 250 WHP with a DP and TMIC...and a tune.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Thumbs down

what does TMIC stand for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 WRX Mods???