General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

09 WRX Wagon Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX Wagon, and 99 RS
09 WRX Wagon Daily Driver

Hi all,
I have had the car for almost a year and have done quite a few things to it. I have been meaning to post some pictures and some reviews on what I have done to the car. To start, here is a list of things that were done to the car in chronological order. Thanks to EQ Tuning for most of the install work.

Replace the grill with the sport grill. Looks much better. I don't know why I don't see more people do this.

Whiteline 24mm front roll bar, and 22mm rear roll bar. Obviously the best bang for the buck modification you can do. Given the motion ratio's in the rear, probably need a stiffer rear bar, but nobody makes one yet??

GroupN engine mounts. The 09 stock ones didn't look that bad, but we already had taken one off...so we just installed the group N's.

GroupN tranny mount and TIC tranny crossmember bushings. Stock, these things are bubble-gum soft. GroupN's are not.

TIC holy shift kit. Much more precise.

Invidia catted downpipe, Perrin TMIC and EQ Tune by Ed. Car started at 220 WHP, ended at 250 WHP. The TMIC had to come off because it was rubbing on the clutch cylinder. Car has about 240'ish now.

Whiteline Anti-lift kit, rear camber bushings, and rear subframe bushings. Feels a little tighter, and the camber adjustment is nice. I still have to install the rear control arm bushings...

RaceComp Tarmac 2 suspension. Running 400/400 springs, and lowered it just shy of an inch. Handles great! Absolutely solid, and not terribly harsh...only a little

Stoptech BBK. Awesome. Stopping power is much better, and have not been able to get them display any fade yet...and they sure do look cool Oh, didn't fit under the stock wheels...had to run like a 2mm spacer until I get new wheels.

Notice the lack of that lame stock grill.

Yeah...so I got rear ended and had to have the rear bumper and gate replaced. Painted the whole thing white instead of the black part on the lower bumper...oh yeah...and no badging.

Stoptechs....yay!

Last edited by doc_randy; 10-25-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Looks great!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
nice job. did you take any install pics?
also, i've heard of issues with the wastegate flap hitting the divider in the invidia dp's. any problem with that?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mokeOne
nice job. did you take any install pics?
also, i've heard of issues with the wastegate flap hitting the divider in the invidia dp's. any problem with that?
Thanks. We didn't take any install pictures. Most of the stuff is pretty standard....except for the suspension bushings....the stock bushings are a real pain to remove. Chris #2 at EQ ended up utilizing a drill, a hacksaw, and a blowtorch to get out the stock bushings that the ALK replace! The rear camber bushings were no cakewalk either. If you are going to do any of the suspension bushings, I would highly recommend that you find someone who has done them before. I recommend EQ because....well...I think that they are awesome guys, and they cheerfully put up with me when my OCD kicks in

We just cut the wastegate flap off prior to installing it. In retrospect, it would have been better to just shave it down. The divider would theoretically help with reducing the pressure on the backside of the turbo, thus reducing spool time....but I am hitting full boost at like 3k rpm....so it just isn't a problem.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by eclipsefirenos
Looks great!
Thanks....dude...do you have white wheels? It looks like you do from your pictures?? I had white wheels on my RS, and I love the way it looks.

Oh...You know, I have the stock grill that came with my car. It is the same as yours, only with a mesh background. While not as cool looking as the one that I bought, I think that it looks better than the large pattern grill that you have. If you want it, I will sell it to you for cheap
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by doc_randy
Thanks....dude...do you have white wheels? It looks like you do from your pictures?? I had white wheels on my RS, and I love the way it looks.

Oh...You know, I have the stock grill that came with my car. It is the same as yours, only with a mesh background. While not as cool looking as the one that I bought, I think that it looks better than the large pattern grill that you have. If you want it, I will sell it to you for cheap
Hahaha, the wheels on my car are not white. On the contrary, what you see are not even the wheels. Those are the stock hubcaps that came with my base 2.5i. My friend did an HDR Photoshop job on it, and as a result, the steelies in the picture have become nearly invisible. I really want to get myself some gold wheels (a bit flashy for some, but I personally love the color combination), and I would actually be very interested in buying the grill off of you, but my car is a lease. Realistically, I probably won't modify the car even a tiny bit. I've got some vinyl and license plate frames (if those can be considered mods) on there, but that's about it.
It's not that I don't have the money to mod, but that I don't have the space to keep the stock parts to reinstall after my lease runs out. Thank you so much for the offer though.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Hi all,

Replace the grill with the sport grill. Looks much better. I don't know why I don't see more people do this.
They had just dropped the price a little while ago. Last year it was around $350. A bit pricey for looks.

Lately, subarugenuineparts.com sells them for $250, wanted one since the beginning, but cusco and shiggy is where all my money went.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
nice let me know if you ever need a manual for it I got a digital version
Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 AM

New Wheels!! TR Motorsports MT1 18x8.5 +48 with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 StarSpecs in 235/40.

Had to roll the fenders in the rear...but did all four just in case.

Plenty of room for the Stoptechs. In fact, I bet there isn't a set of calipers that wouldn't fit under these things.

lots of space in the rear the good thing is that I can adjust the dampers by reaching through the wheel

Last edited by doc_randy; 11-08-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
can I buy your car please?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 PM

More pictures.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
looks nice ! did you have to roll the fenders cuz of the 18s ? or cuz of the width?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Hi all,

Yeah...so I got rear ended and had to have the rear bumper and gate replaced. Painted the whole thing white instead of the black part on the lower bumper...oh yeah...and no badging.
I like it mono!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by kwiksilverwrx
looks nice ! did you have to roll the fenders cuz of the 18s ? or cuz of the width?
Width. With the lower profile tires, they are about the same total height.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
At first I didn't like the looks of the new WRX hatch, but the more I see it the more I like it! Looks nice man. I may need to sell my bugeye soon and pickup one of these.