General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

08 XT Trouble Shooting Theories

Old 04-30-2014, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sport
08 XT Trouble Shooting Theories

I have an 08 XT w/83k that recently underwent the following:

04 STI short block
CP Forged Pistons
ACL Race Bearings
Gates Timing Belt/Kit
Gates Water Pump
Oil Pump
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
VF43 Turbo
05 STI TMIC
OBX Turbo Inlet
Tomei headgaskets
OEM Starter

A new injector is arriving tomorrow, I will explain why in a moment.

My husband and I have been working on this thing every day for the last month to rebuild it. Its been a headache since I bought it 2 years ago. This is just about everything I had planned for it, save the clutch which was new and the pro tune which will come next year.

The problem is my husband, poor guy, was super burned out between wrenching at work and wrenching at home for the last month. Finished putting everything together, car wouldn't start. We sat down and discussed the possibilities and narrowed the symptoms, asked him about the timing and did some forum reading. Figured out that in his burnt state, he put the crankshaft timing gear on wrong (used the arrow for TDC instead of the hash mark). Ouch. So then he fixed it and it fired, but runs terrible still. It has a rough idle in Cylinder 2, according to the readings on my Cobb AP. The rest of the cylinders run fine. Figured it was air, fuel or spark to stick to the basics. Did a leak down test and a compression test, the compression in that cylinder is at 130+ and the rings haven't even seated yet.

We tried swapping around coil packs and plugs, the issue is still isolated to cylinder 2. So I'm thinking its an injector, which will arrive tomorrow....I got an OEM Denso Dark Blue 565cc.

Do any of you experts have ANY other possibilities? Is the leak down test misleading at all? Is it possible I screwed up my newly built motor, just trying to turn it over with the timing off by that much? I am so afraid that the injector is going to show up and not fix the issue and after that, I am out of ideas. Any input is greatly appreciated.