Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Questions about performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 subaru impreza 2.5i
Questions about performance upgrades?

I'm new to the subaru world. I have an 2007 subaru impreza 2.5i and want to do some upgrades. But don't know where to start... I have heard doing suspension upgrades to make it lighter. But what I would like to do is an exhaust, cai, and chip it. I don't want to lose horsepower or back pressure so what exhaust would be good? What size? I want a nice tone. Not ricey, but a solid tone. What cai? Will I need it tuned after? And what do I do for suspension completely. Any help would be greAt!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by Subi2.5i
I'm new to the subaru world. I have an 2007 subaru impreza 2.5i and want to do some upgrades. But don't know where to start... I have heard doing suspension upgrades to make it lighter. But what I would like to do is an exhaust, cai, and chip it. I don't want to lose horsepower or back pressure so what exhaust would be good? What size? I want a nice tone. Not ricey, but a solid tone. What cai? Will I need it tuned after? And what do I do for suspension completely. Any help would be greAt!
I also have a 07 2.5i, one thing I can suggest right away is avoiding a cai, our cars hate aftermarket intakes. I should know, I had a cosmo sri, I lost most of my low end power and had my throttle body clog up. But hey maybe others have had better luck, I know a tune helps. I just personally dont suggest using a cai or sri. What you can do however is buy a high flow filter to fit your stock air box or do a hybrid intake (stock air box with a sri tube). Exhaust wise im running the stock sized pipe with a resonator delete and a flowmaster muffler, its kinda ricey at high rpm but anywhere under 3500rpm sounds amazing. Suspention wise im in the same boat, im still stock and I know I need to rip into mine because im getting a loud clicking from my struts
Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Don't worry about making more power. It's a lost cause on your car unless you're willing to spend thousands on minimal gains.

Years ago a shop built a 2.5RS (GD platform). They tossed $20k in parts into it and it was still slower than the same year's 2.0L WRX in a straight line, however it beat the stock WRX handling wise in an autocross course due to the suspension mods. I would just stick to that area.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
If you are looking to make your car fast, you bought the wrong trim. But you can make it handle and sound better in all aspects...... just don't expect it to be making whopping horsepower. And don't chip it..... unless you are talking about a piggy back ecu. But overly that is not cost effective unless you are getting your motor built as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
If you are looking to make your car fast, you bought the wrong trim. But you can make it handle and sound better in all aspects...... just don't expect it to be making whopping horsepower. And don't chip it..... unless you are talking about a piggy back ecu. But overly that is not cost effective unless you are getting your motor built as well.
^agreed, its great to make an N/A into a sweet daily driver because most people actually dont do that, but power wise you are honestly better off getting a WRX or STI. I know some people dont want to hear that but unless you have the skills and cash to build the engine it will be what it is. I realized this long ago with my impreza, now its just a nice, well maintained subi that can manage to fit in with the wrx's and sti's but cant keep up with them. Im completely content with that though. All in all dont mess with your N/A power and engine wise or it will come back to bite you if you don't know what you are doing. Just focus on suspention, exhaust, and some showy stuff on the exterior if you want (just dont rice it out!). Im just trying to share my experience because I learned a lot about my car the hard way, and now that im a Subaru tech it makes me want to warn people even more
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 PM

thanks for all the replies! im leaning towards not messing with the motor at all. what would be good suspension upgrades? all in all that will make the car handle better and perform better without gaining "hp"? what is a good exhaust to put on th 2.5i? i want a nice deep rumble like the boxer rumble but i know i wont get that without the unequal length headers. what muffler/can would make it sound nice. i dont want a whiny, ricey sound.

thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Just got a new exhaust and a k&n filter for my stock air box! Sounds great! What else should I do?!