Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

good deal or ripped off ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 98 impreza 2.5 rs
good deal or ripped off ???

i went to the subaru dealer today to talk about getting my head gaskets replaced. the guy told me about a complete reseal kit ( every gasket on the motor) and a new thermo, timing belt and new oil and coolant. plus a 1 year warranty on it. all in all im walking out of there spending 1600 (tax included)
whats your opinion on this deal ???????? thanks
( 98 impreza RS )
Old 02-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Sounds about right for dealer prices.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Yep, but why replace them all? I'd only have them replace the one that are prone to leak or show signs of leaking..... any time human hands touch a factory assembled piece of equipment you insert additional risk of future failure
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM

why ?, are there no human hands in the factory ? not everything can be done with robotics. i understand what you mean though,but i think having new gaskets all around,if done right, should be better than having the factory gaskets on, not knowing if they will let go soon.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by sd70feb
why ?, are there no human hands in the factory ? not everything can be done with robotics. i understand what you mean though,but i think having new gaskets all around,if done right, should be better than having the factory gaskets on, not knowing if they will let go soon.
"If done right" is the key phrase. In the factory, things are assembled in cleanroom conditions, and done like clockwork. The reject rate is very very low. I dealerships, on the other hand, there are good and bad mechanics, and even good ones make mistakes. There is a specific risk factor associated with every procedure, every gasket, etc, so if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Now, in reality, some gaskets typically fail over time and use, such as valve cover gaskets, and OEM 2.5l head gaskets. I'd have those changed.

I've worked at dealerships, worked in a shop, had personal friends that were certified mechanics, and have too many horror stories to mention. If a subaru mechanic won't even use a torque wrench on my lug nuts, do you think I'm going to trust him to properly torque the head bolts? Sure, it might last you 12 months.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-23-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:05 PM

i hear ya....thats why i hope the subaru techs pay attention. hopefully things work out, my karma points are pretty high. im bringing donuts when i drop off my car, maybe it will make the difference. lol...........thanks for your info....