Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Everything N/A!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
Everything N/A!

Hey guy, I was just wondering what would be the best things to get to improve the non turbo engine in my car? CAI,CBE, all that stuff. What brands and types are the best and price ranges of things and how they will help? I'm clueless. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:07 AM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
dont get too crazy unless you dont mind voiding the warranty. which a lot of the people on here dont mind. but if i were you id definitely be putting a cbe on the car to bring out the rumble! and it wont void warranty.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^^ rumble on a NA...

Generally intakes can net you some power. But the '08+ models have been having a hard time with intakes as they really disturb the air/fuel ratio. The best bet is to go for a hybrid intake but at that point you won't see a lot of gains.

With exhaust, headers won't change much since N/A come stock with an equal length header which is the most efficient style and the 2.5" piping throughout the rest of the exhaust system is optimal for the engine. You can however see some gains by removing the catalytic converters but that would also entail some tuning and obviously in California, it is illegal. You can also put on a catback and you will see some differences in power (and sound).

On my car I have a 3" N1 style catback and I have noticed (other than it being loud as ****) that the power band seems to have been smoothed out. Going from 1k RPM to 3k RPM it is more of a smooth surge of power instead of the "meh" to "POWAH" you feel at about 2k with the stock exhaust.

If you want boxer rumble you can get close with an un-equal length header. At this point in time a bolt on UEL header doesn't exist for '08+ N/A's but there is one in development. It is possible to put on a UEL header from a pre-'05 RS but there would still be some custom fabrication to get it all together. And even with a UEL header you will hear some rumble but it will not be the same as a WRX or STi because the system still lacks a turbocharger.

You can also do some tuning. Cobb had a accessport for '08+ N/A engines but for some reason they have been discontinued. But when they were out they were claiming gains of up to 15hp.

Of course there is also the options of upgrading the internals of the engine and doing some forced induction but at that point it would have been more prudent to just buy a WRX or STi.

EDIT:
Everything above is in reference to '08+ N/A although it can also go for N/A's in general. But I figured since the OP has a '10 2.5i and there is already a plethora of information for previous generations, this thread would be more geared for the '08+ generation.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 01-09-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
So basically the CAI is pointless and really there is nothing you can do to this engine unless you slap a turbo on it so gain more than 20hp? Thanks for all the information jourdan. Might have to look into UEL headers just for the sound.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
^^ rumble on a NA...

Generally intakes can net you some power. But the '08+ models have been having a hard time with intakes as they really disturb the air/fuel ratio. The best bet is to go for a hybrid intake but at that point you won't see a lot of gains.

With exhaust, headers won't change much since N/A come stock with an equal length header which is the most efficient style and the 2.5" piping throughout the rest of the exhaust system is optimal for the engine. You can however see some gains by removing the catalytic converters but that would also entail some tuning and obviously in California, it is illegal. You can also put on a catback and you will see some differences in power (and sound).

On my car I have a 3" N1 style catback and I have noticed (other than it being loud as ****) that the power band seems to have been smoothed out. Going from 1k RPM to 3k RPM it is more of a smooth surge of power instead of the "meh" to "POWAH" you feel at about 2k with the stock exhaust.

If you want boxer rumble you can get close with an un-equal length header. At this point in time a bolt on UEL header doesn't exist for '08+ N/A's but there is one in development. It is possible to put on a UEL header from a pre-'05 RS but there would still be some custom fabrication to get it all together. And even with a UEL header you will hear some rumble but it will not be the same as a WRX or STi because the system still lacks a turbocharger.

You can also do some tuning. Cobb had a accessport for '08+ N/A engines but for some reason they have been discontinued. But when they were out they were claiming gains of up to 15hp.

Of course there is also the options of upgrading the internals of the engine and doing some forced induction but at that point it would have been more prudent to just buy a WRX or STi.

EDIT:
Everything above is in reference to '08+ N/A although it can also go for N/A's in general. But I figured since the OP has a '10 2.5i and there is already a plethora of information for previous generations, this thread would be more geared for the '08+ generation.

my mistake on the headers. forgot you guys have equal length and not unequal. see you got one hellofa laugh on that one though...
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
CAI, Catless, 2.5 pipes on the exhaust, advance timing, light weight under drive pulley, bigger intake cams, better diff, Walbro Fuel pump, and 91 octane (or better). may or may not shave a second from your time. haah just somethings that i just thought about.