Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by RBMike
If you have to get one, wait a couple of weeks & get the SPT one that is comming out from Subaru in a few days. No tunning required accoring to Subaru.
o rly? First Ive heard of that!

For filters I personally stick with the stock paper air filter. Very simple and effecient. If I got the K&N, I would probably be one of the morons that over oils it, lol. I just replace the stock one whenever it looks like dirt/grime is building up.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
whats the deal with the spt? is it a short ram? if so......since subaru makes it it would be compatible with MAF and warenty right?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
if so......since subaru makes it it would be compatible with MAF and warenty right?
No, they void your watrrenty even if you install an spt catback, although some service departmentsmay overlook it. It all just comes down to the dealership, some are cool with mods, some are not.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Honestly...F the warranty. As long as you take care of the car and do all the required maintanence, you will most likely have no problems. Modded or not. Subarus are truly great cars.

If you are modding the car, you should expect the dealership to deny any warranty work. Like VIBEELEVEN said, some care some dont. I wouldnt take my modded car to the dealership though.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

So, I just got the "drive" magazine in the mail which features the spt intake, after seeing it I would NOT buy it, it suffers from the same poor design as most poorly engineered aftermarket short rams.

See the bend before the maf...

Old 05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Upon further research, I have found out that the one with the jacked up "s" bend is the model for the legacy, the one for the wrx actually looks pretty strair foreward.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Talking

Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
im trying to get some input on intake opinion. i want to get an intake on my 06, im going to get an exhaust in like 2 months but what intake is good? im not going to get a cold air because sometimes i go off road and in the mud. i was wandering between the short ram air intake or just get a new drop in filter and a silencer deleate? well let me know guys. thanks
The silencer delete with a K & N will give you as much as anything else (and still appears stock). You can go with the GP Moto 'U' that goes between your stock box and the fresh air snorkle for $45. That's $100 to get as much performance as a $300 Injen or $200 Cobb! Oh... and it sounds great too, not too loud... but there for sure.

GP Moto Piece: www.subysoltions.com
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

That's the exact same setup I'm running.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Upon further research, I have found out that the one with the jacked up "s" bend is the model for the legacy, the one for the wrx actually looks pretty strair foreward.

Subaru says no tunning and retains warrenty. Engineered to work CORRECTLY with the stock MAF (unlike ALL the others on the market). Every Typhoon owner that shows a gain on the dino is running lean(without a tune). You will notice in my original post I said "If you have to get one". I do not need one as I run the stock turbo and the stock CIA (yes it is a CIA) flows enough air.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RBMike
Subaru says no tunning and retains warrenty. Engineered to work CORRECTLY with the stock MAF (unlike ALL the others on the market). Every Typhoon owner that shows a gain on the dino is running lean. You will notice in my original post I said "If you have to get one". I do not need one as I run the stock turbo and the stock CIA (yes it is a CIA) flows enough air.
Oh I don't doubt it, somebody posted that they got a gain of like 10whp or something but never posted an af chart.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
i ended up just geting a perrin drop in filter to replace the stock paper one. also got borola hush exhaust
Old 06-02-2006, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Drop-in filter

Drop-in filter wins.

Last edited by wrXmon; 06-02-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned bugeye
i got the spt intake so far i like it
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
I have an 05 STI with a SPT Intake on it and have had no problems with it and the CobbAP. I started with a drop in K&N filter then went to the SPT and installed the ACN91 stage 1 map. I had no problems with either.

I did read in a subiesport a while back that the Ingen CIA had to be tuned in order not to cause problems. The AEM one had little to no tuning needed. Just some food for thought.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Car Info: 2011 Blue STI
Originally Posted by lburrrna
Do not get any other AFTERmarket Cold air intake OR short ram! because it can affect your perfomance on ur MAF sensor. the only one u can get that is safe is.. the cobb (cobbtuning.com), its call the SF intake..they run from $189 at there site. YOU wont get any power gain, just the sound
Agreed, the Cobb SF will give you what you're looking for, someone else on a different post dramatize ruining his car because he purchased CAI, can cause problems and no need.

Quick Reply: intake