Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
Question intake

im trying to get some input on intake opinion. i want to get an intake on my 06, im going to get an exhaust in like 2 months but what intake is good? im not going to get a cold air because sometimes i go off road and in the mud. i was wandering between the short ram air intake or just get a new drop in filter and a silencer deleate? well let me know guys. thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 06' Subaru IMPREZA WRX FP18g
Exclamation

Do not get any other AFTERmarket Cold air intake OR short ram! because it can affect your perfomance on ur MAF sensor. the only one u can get that is safe is.. the cobb (cobbtuning.com), its call the SF intake..they run from $189 at there site. YOU wont get any power gain, just the sound
Old 05-24-2006, 05:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 Black STI
I installed Perrin's short ram intake and I have not had any problems.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 06' Subaru IMPREZA WRX FP18g
that perren shortram, you cant use that with Cobb tuning Accessport. either u use Stock OR SF INtake (cobb). if u have no plans for an AP then ur fine.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM

ok so the coob intake is good but has no powergain, what about getting a perren, KnN, or sti drop in filter for the stock box, would that be a problem?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Any intake isn't gonna give you much more power, they don't seem to have much of a performance gain over the stock one. Look into a bellmouth or divorced wastegate downpipe, a 3" catback and some sort of engine management. The COBB accessport is one of the most popular and user friendly.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
im trying to get some input on intake opinion. i want to get an intake on my 06, im going to get an exhaust in like 2 months but what intake is good? im not going to get a cold air because sometimes i go off road and in the mud. i was wandering between the short ram air intake or just get a new drop in filter and a silencer deleate? well let me know guys. thanks
WHy do you want an intake?

The money/power ratio is much better on exhaust and engine management.

Do some searches
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM

im getting an exhaust and i heard that when you pair them with an intake its better for your engine. i dont really know this is just what friends say and they probally dont know what they are talking about thats why i ask you guys.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
im getting an exhaust and i heard that when you pair them with an intake its better for your engine. i dont really know this is just what friends say and they probally dont know what they are talking about thats why i ask you guys.
Don't listen to your friends. Don't get an intake unless you want to waste your money. If you absolutely have to get one for the sound, I hear the COBB and K&N shortrams are the best.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX STI 2006
Thumbs up Intakes STI

K&N Short Ram Intake (Red)
Old 05-25-2006, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
important things first!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tossty
K&N Short Ram Intake (Red)
+1 for Cobb AP
+1 for K&N Short Ram Intake. I was also skeptical and heard that it causes problems. But after i saw a buddy of mine that had installed one on his 05 sti he said he never had any problems and he wasnt even tuned! I had already got my helix catless dp and a greddy sp2 cbe. And got a Cobb AP. Got a protune and then i added my intake. Intake should be one of the last things you add. And after I added it i needed to get another tune because it needs to be compencated for. But it does give a little better throttle response. And you can hear a lot more of the turbo activity and spooling. But all in all i think an intake is only needed after you have done the more important things like dp and exhaust. Cobb AP is a great addition to any subaru. It has a lot more versatility than a reflash. And you can go back to stock anytime you want. Plus it has real time maps like valet mode, economy mode, anti-theft mode, etc.

FYI I heard that a intake on WRX is bad but STi is good. Does anybody know if this is true?

E
Old 05-25-2006, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scarface
FYI I heard that a intake on WRX is bad but STi is good. Does anybody know if this is true?

E
Untrue, it's bad for both cars. Read the "cold air intake debate" in the ej20t forum.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I dont think the STi's MAF suffers the same way as the 2.0L wrx does with aftermarket intake. From reading the forums, with tuning and exhuast, intake seems like a power adder for the STi.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I dont think the STi's MAF suffers the same way as the 2.0L wrx does with aftermarket intake. From reading the forums, with tuning and exhuast, intake seems like a power adder for the STi.
I agree. I read some of the thread and there are a lot of opinions on both sides. But like subie OCD said with tuning and exhaust on the STi I think that it has positive effect. Not a lot, but a little. It has a definite flow increase and a little better throttle response. Just noticable changes IMO.

E
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

The reason intakes hurt turbocharged subarus isn't nescesarilly the intake, but the bend in most intakes right before the maf, the differentiation between the STi and WRX is false. If the problem is the intake, what would it matter if it was on an STi or a wrx? They both use almost identical setups. But whatever, if you like detonation, just get one. It's not my car, but if it was, I wouldn't get one unless it had no bend and you had it specifically tuned for it.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 05-25-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: intake