Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
The reason intakes hurt turbocharged subarus isn't nescesarilly the intake, but the bend in most intakes right before the maf, the differentiation between the STi and WRX is false. If the problem is the intake, what would it matter if it was on an STi or a wrx? They both use almost identical setups.
I think subie OCD was referring to the size of the engine as being the difference. These intakes are designed specifically for these cars. I think the compression differences probably has a lot to do with it. But im not an expert just my opinion. But I see what you mean.

But when you say hurt the turbocharger you mean the amount of air passing through it damages it? And the "bend" you are talking about is a slight bend. So do all subarus use the same part number K&N Short Ram Intake?

E
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 04 FXT, 02 Forester L, 95 JDM LGT
most of this stuff is based on the ej20 right? well isnt the 06 an ej25? maybe the new engine does not suffer from these problems. i heard alot of how a bov will hurt your engine and make it run rough, all this negative stuff after i had already ordered mine. i felt so bad cause i bought it before reasearching and once i did i did not want it any more. well i got it yeterday and it funtions with the engine fine... maybe the ej25 is better suited for the bov...

anyways how much power will i see with the ap.. im most likely going to get that done now(you guys talked me into it). im just going to get the sti drop in replacement filter too.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by scarface
But when you say hurt the turbocharger you mean the amount of air passing through it damages it? And the "bend" you are talking about is a slight bend. So do all subarus use the same part number K&N Short Ram Intake?

E
No, most intakes have a small bend right before the maf, the ecu is used to seeing a straight path so when it reads the turbulance it screws up the feul mixture making the engine run lean and detonate. Two intakes without the bend are the cobb and the k&n typhoon. K&N claims like 14hp, I would be wary of that.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Im not trying to sound like a lemming, but it seems like a lot of the STi guys on nasioc (and here) have slight increases without the maf problems of the 2.0 wrx.

If one decides to get one, they should defenitely do research to find out what they are getting into, and have it custom tuned by a knowledgable tuner.

If I had an STi, I would be hesitant...only due to the fact that if the hood got popped by the 5-0 its like a red flag that anyone with half a brain could point out as "illegal".
Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rallied out wrx
most of this stuff is based on the ej20 right? well isnt the 06 an ej25? maybe the new engine does not suffer from these problems. i heard alot of how a bov will hurt your engine and make it run rough, all this negative stuff after i had already ordered mine. i felt so bad cause i bought it before reasearching and once i did i did not want it any more. well i got it yeterday and it funtions with the engine fine... maybe the ej25 is better suited for the bov...

anyways how much power will i see with the ap.. im most likely going to get that done now(you guys talked me into it). im just going to get the sti drop in replacement filter too.
Displacement has nothing to do with it. You seem to just really want an intake and bov, just get one and see what happens. The bov is a whole different story.

You will gain anywhere between 30 and 100hp with the ap, depending on what other mods you get.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Im not trying to sound like a lemming, but it seems like a lot of the STi guys on nasioc (and here) have slight increases without the maf problems of the 2.0 wrx.
MAF problems have nothing whatsoever to do with displacement.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
MAF problems have nothing whatsoever to do with displacement.
Im not comparing maf and displacement.

All Im saying is that STi owners seem to have good results with exhaust/intake/tune, while 2002-2005 wrx owners do not. Why is that....??? I dont know.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx ltd
I've run 2 intakes without a problem, i ran an injen and now ive moved to a perrin, you really wont realize much of a gain from it until you phyiscally tune your car... it will enchance all the sounds that the turbo emits though.

Cobb states that their maps are fine to be run with their own intake but they can't vouch for others which like any good company wouldn't. there are slight variences between brands and of course they want to sell their own product if they could.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 AM

ok the ap it is.. which one should i get, where should i get it, and where should i get it tuned.

intake ....drop in sti, KnN, or perren replacement filter over stock one. which one is better for the drop in. im guessing the sti cause its subaru. idk?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx ltd
well theres only one accessport. theyre model year specific. so when your buying it you just need to specify that its for a 06 wrx manual for example. as to where to get it? the place that offers the best deal really though theyre all similarly priced.

if your just getting a drop in, id got for the k&n.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

I'd go with a kn drop in too, it's reusable and flows a little better than the stock one. Just don't over oil it.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 AM

so far you guys have been much help.. thanks . now im just curious if i should go to groupe s and have this done. has any one done it there and anywhere eles. let me know..

last intake question i have is where should i get the KnN drop in..... who has the lowest price?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Gruppe-S rocks, the k and n should run you about 50 bucks, it's not gonna do anything for performance though.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM

If you have to get one, wait a couple of weeks & get the SPT one that is comming out from Subaru in a few days. No tunning required accoring to Subaru.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RBMike
If you have to get one, wait a couple of weeks & get the SPT one that is comming out from Subaru in a few days. No tunning required accoring to Subaru.
SPT intake?

Do you have a link?

Quick Reply: intake