Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Dyno choices....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:50 AM

may be you can think this way, dynomics dyno express the reading closer to GROUND, where dynopack express the reading closer to the WHEEL

purpose of dyno your car is to tune better so you get most power out of your car, andcheck how much gain for each mod you put on your car.

i don't think it doesn't matter rather the dyno reads higher or not. AS LONG AS YOU GO BACK TO THE SAME DYNO TO DO THE TUNNING, SO YOU KNOW HOW MANY HP GAINED OR LOST FROM CERTAIN MODS AND TUNNING.

Last edited by kool168; 12-10-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:21 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
^ that about sums it up.

I've heard great things about the dynapack though.

Really helps for high HP cars = no tires slipping on the dyno wheels.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Group B
^ that about sums it up.

I've heard great things about the dynapack though.

Really helps for high HP cars = no tires slipping on the dyno wheels.
There are no wheel slip problems on Dyno Dynamics dynos either. What it boils down to is what philosophy you tend to follow. Yes, different wheel/tire packages have different moment of inertia, and will have an impact on HP to the ground during acceleration. Is it better to have them on than off? That's hard to say.

What you've got to ask yourself is whether or not you want to pay a dyno operator to remove your wheels, fit hub adapters, check for runout, etc. for an hour before the real tuning begins, or would you rather just pay for tuning? Setup time on a Dyno Dynamics machine takes just a few minutes. Setup time for the Dyna Pack. . . . considerably more than just a few minutes.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:50 AM

I don't know much about the dynapack but I can tell you DynoDynamics have high amounts of load resolution. It has more to do with how your dyno operator sets up the dyno though than anything else. Personally, I have a lot of faith in the DynoDynamics unit. That's always my first choice. Mustang being my second. Although what I'm about to paste is a bit off topic it should provide some useful information to go from when selecting a dyno. This information is from gruppe-s.com.

"Why a Mustang Dyne AWD Dynamometer, why not another brand???

-We choose the Mustang Dyne unit for the following reasons,
Tests both axles of the test vehicle under the same imposed load, while at the same time providing for front-to-rear axle speed synchronizing. This prevents damage to expensive center differentials and other AWD hardware.

-Industry respected Eddy current load based.

-Wheelbase selection taken out of the setup equation leaving more time for us to actually work on the car.

What does that mean in English???

-As you know, there is a huge difference if you are accelerating your car with the wheels up in the air, or actually driving on the freeway. With a non-load based dyno (ie Dynojet) you are only spinning a heavy drum - similar (although not as bad) to accelerating with your tires off the ground. With a Mustangdyne, the dynamic braking simulates real freeway acceleration through imposed loading. You can even increase the vehicle load to increase resistance (such as for increased air resistance).

--Bottom line - tune a late model car on a non-loading dyno and what looks like a perfect map will generally run dangerously lean on the street. We have seen Air/Fuel differences of over a full point lean after tuning on a non-loading dyno then getting out on the street. This will not happen with the imposed loading of a Mustangdyne dynamometer.

Also many late model 2wd cars (such as the E46 M3) require the front and rear wheels to be spinning at the same speed to operate properly (otherwise the car will falsely believe the tires are slipping).. The Mustangdyne eliminates this problem with a belt driven axle that connects the front and rear rollers."