Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

So many choices... which ECU upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Unhappy So many choices... which ECU upgrade???

ive been reading up on all these computers and chips, and reflashes, its making me dizzy...

what do u guys recommend?
a $1000 UTEC from TXS? or the $400 accessECU from cobb tuning?

any info would help, THANKSSSS
Old 04-20-2003, 03:32 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you have the time, patience, and knowledge to tune your self? If so, then a UTEC, Xede, or even a full standalone could be for you.

If you are a set it and forget it kind of person, a reflash is right there for you.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

hey thanks, good thinking btw... well i dunno... see my goal is to run low-mid 13s consistantly, and maintain a reliable and efficient daily driver... im thinking of these upgrades...

HKS Hi-Power Cat-Back approx. $650
Perrin Down Pipe (w/ high flow cat) approx. $540
Turbo XS up pipe approx. $200
Perrin I/C hose kit approx. $150

Will the above parts work as well?

B/C they are essentially the same stuff Prodrives selling for $2500 (minus the re-flashed ecu)... and those add up to about $1540.. leaving me $960 to invest into a ECU unit... whats best?

Then top it off with the...

UTEC or Cobb re-flash

about tuning... sure i dont mind doing some light adjustments, but if i go with the UTEC i can always yank it off for a stop at the dealers service dept. right? will i be better off with the UTEC and just buying a spare used ECU, just incase? id greatly value some opinions and advice...
Old 04-21-2003, 12:52 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
A reflash is undetectable by dealers. That is no physical change to the ECU other then the code written to it. Dealers do not have the capability to read the code in the ECU.

If you got a UTEC, it too can be removed to show no sign of tampering.

Both with the right supporting mods can accomplish your goals. Both could get you into the 13 sec range(providing you can drive ) But for less then half the price, the Cobb reflash is a better deal.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:26 PM

I wouldn't say it is undetectable. If I were Subaru, I would give each of my regional service reps a copy of DeltaDash and ask them to check for ECU remap when a car is submitted for major warranty service. Don't assume they don't do this... From what I read, Audi had their dealers scanning for ECU chips when you were just getting an oil change...

Originally posted by teiva-boy
A reflash is undetectable by dealers. That is no physical change to the ECU other then the code written to it. Dealers do not have the capability to read the code in the ECU.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

YIKES

yikes guys... well lets see, it seems the Cobb tuning is the most appealing sucker out there, considering its price and perfomance value... although i do think the dealer near me is good at detections, as i was talking to them and they warned me about their service department... "just come clean, trust me, those guys are good" haha... so whats a spare used ECU gonna cost me? im thinking of the reflash

ohhhh and about the cobb tuning, do they tune it to the mods you already have? is it better to do the catback first, then send off the ecu?

also, what are u guys running to get into low 13s? can u stay legal and still achieve this??? that would be great if possible!

thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

hey sevielle

looks like weve got similar goals... a fast daily driver ...

as far as ur reflash goes, im gonna prolly go with that too...
Cobb Tuning offers the AccessECU says they can ship it back as soon as the same day, but since i want mine to be normal looking if i go into the dealer service dept... im gonna end up finding a used stock ECU from a junk yard... that way when i send out my ECU to be reflashed, ill have another one (stock) to drive the car around with... so no down time here

Also think about this, all i need to do is unplug the reflashed and plug in the stock one if i need it serviced at the dealer, that way they cant detect anything... and i wont get denied of my warranty its all good right?

oh and sevielle, what kinda mods are u getting other than that up pipe? I'm wondering... does the STi uppipe have a cat? is it legal? cuz if i cant find an up pipe with a high flow cat, im just gonna gut mine, so if cops take a look they wont suspect it being catless... also i hate to get my warranty denied and not pass smog on top of that wow... worse than being laid off and having ur gf dump u...
Old 04-22-2003, 01:03 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Originally posted by johnw
I wouldn't say it is undetectable. If I were Subaru, I would give each of my regional service reps a copy of DeltaDash and ask them to check for ECU remap when a car is submitted for major warranty service. Don't assume they don't do this... From what I read, Audi had their dealers scanning for ECU chips when you were just getting an oil change...
It is detectable if they know what they are looking for. I doubt they know though.

As for scanning their car when they go to get an oil change, I think that is illegal. They get a repair order saying that they are paying for an oil change and thats it. Nothing else.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

well sevielle...

ive learned a bit on here, also by reading around...

The STi up pipe will still throw me a CEL, and its true you can eliminate that with a simple resistor mod... however, the downside, i heard is that an injector can be misfiring and ur ecu won't realize it, due to the interruption u have created with the resistor... Definitely not kewl for me...

I heard that if you gut the up pipe, you wont be getting a CEL, but again ive heard that you can... so I won't argue that either way... as far as safe fast and reliable, i totally agree with you... and to this point i still have not decided on a LEGAL mod...

the ECU mod im gonna go with is the AccessECU reflash, you get impressive gains, and chances are it wont be detected at the dealer (however i will be getting a spare from a junkyard in case )

Another great suggestion made was to get a downpipe, either catless or with a high flow cat... in my case the perrin catted (replaces down and mid pipe)... get the downpipe then cover it with ur stock heatshield! so a cop cant detect a mod there... and when its smog time, swap in ur stock parts and u just cheated the system

I'm still looking for mods that will keep me from losing my warranty... i DOUBT the dealer will care about an HKS cat back... but i dont really know...

k well good luck, hope this info helped, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULDBE GREAT ALSO.. regarding smog friendly, and easy mods!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
If you are getting the AccessECU, you may want to ask about asking for the "off-road" treatment. Not sure on the nitty gritty, but that should get rid of any exhaust-related CELs (uppipe, cat-inneficiency) you might get.

edit: Also, the misfire code is not coming from the resistor-mod, it is possibly coming from the increased noise created by the uppipe. (whooshing noise caused by increased air speed? Resonation from the turbo? Dunno.) I wouldn't worry too much about a misfire from an uppipe.

Last edited by EtchyLives; 04-23-2003 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: So many choices... which ECU upgrade???