Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Weird Sound After Uppipe Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
VIP Member

Weird Sound After Uppipe Install

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago, I got an uppipe installed on my 04 WRX by a friend who has done it several times before. I don't have a warm garage like he does and had never done it, so he offered to help.

All things went pretty well, except two of the bolts connecting the uppipe to the exhaust manifold broke when we tried to remove them (because it is so cold here in Utah). We got them off ok and decided to use two bolts that connected the downpipe to the turbo (because they looked about the same and would be easy to replace once everything was put back together). I decided I would drive careful and just not go into boost for a couple days while I waited for some others that I ordered from the dealership came in.

Also, I didn't know about the CEL fix I had to do, so had that done and reset my ECU. Luckily, no CELs.

Once I got the bolts, I put them on and tried going into boost for the first time. I then heard this loud sound, almost like a ticking or a rattling. This sound only occurs though, when I hit boost.

Does anybody have an idea what it could be? I'm meeting my friend tomorrow afternoon and he's going to check everything to make sure everything is tightened down, but I figured I'd see if anybody has had this problem before. Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:40 AM

Car Info: '03 Silver WRX
Sounds like an exhaust leak. Hopefully you put on new gaskets when doing the install and torqued the bolts correctly. When I put mine on, I had a horrible shreaking sound because I didn't torque the bolts in the correct way.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
updates? possible that a piece of the cat broke off or something?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Well, he checked every bolt, gasket, seal, etc. that could have affected it. Here's his diagnosis. Since the noise only occurs when the turbo spools he believes it's on the "pressure side" of the turbo. He thinks that if it was an exhaust leak then I would have noise constantly not just when the turbo is spinning. Also, we can't find any carbon that may have leaked. He suggested that I swap the Samco IC hose back to the stock one, as he thinks that it may have a leak in it.

If that doesn't work, he wants me to go to Cobb and have them manually pressurize my exhaust and see if there is some leak we can't find.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by awns729
updates? possible that a piece of the cat broke off or something?
It couldn't be that the cat broke because the turbo was fine before I removed it to put in a catless uppipe.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Here's the thread he posted over at NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699271
Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Tonight I'm going to put the stock IC hoses back on. Does anybody have any other thoughts on this?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
same thing is happening to my car, just put on an uppipe down pipe and manifold. I only get it during boost and I have no exhaust leaks what so ever or so I think, I've been checking and redoing everything. As soon as boost comes it happens, I'm thinking it may be the wastegate fluttering or something, because I'm not losing pressure, and it's not affecting power.

I'm interested if anyone has a comment, I have a 05 WRX.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM

I've been thinking about this, It does have to be an Inlet noise, I have an USDM STI intercooler, and the sound does sound like it's coming from the turbo or possibly from the intake system, I have a K&N filter.

I can't find a leak or carbon build up, I have exhaust wrap, and I would be able to tell really easily if there was carbon.

Also I did not reinstall my stock turbo heat shield, do to exhaust wraping it. Do those bolts hold the turbo in Place? Could the rattle be from that? There are about 4 or 5 bolt holes left open do to this, so it could hold it together. It's just weird that it only happens during boost.

Last edited by WRX2ndregime; 01-18-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 AM
VIP Member

I don't really think the heatshields are necessary to put back on. Every one of the guys' cars I've looked at here in Salt Lake haven't put theirs on.

WRX2ndregime: Do you have aftermarket IC hoses?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:50 AM

STi intercooler, w/ hard piping

I also have the Gruppe S V2 exhaust manifold

it might just be the turbo, maybe a defect, maybe we have a new design that's the 02-03's don't have, that causes the noise. Could be the BOV, shuttering and we hear it through the intake pipeing, I don't know I havn't had spike or creap issuses and my car runs like a raped ape, so I really don't know what it could be. I've thought compressor wable when it get's to high speeds, But I've tried some things and nothing works. We just need someone who know's the engine to look at it and make a diagnosis.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Well, hopefully mine will be fixed after I replace the IC hoses. If that fixes it for me you'll know where to look. I'm somewhat skeptical that this is going to work though, even though I've had several people tell me that's probably what it is.

My car runs really good as well. I have the OEM boost gauge and I've seen it hit the .1 bar by 2500 RPM's. So I know I'm not loosing pressure. It's just damn annoying.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
the heatshield is not necessary, but it cools the compartment 40-100 deg. cooler. also, the sound you have may be normal, as i had a similar noise, and after looking around and inspecting, i saw nothing wrong, the turbo spools up and sometimes the engine moves, causing some flexing.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 AM

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...001#post841001

Maybe this could be our problem, cause I also have an aftermarket downpipe. We are chekcing all the exhaust bolts and it could be this, due to the fact That you spend freaking hours doing and uppipe and you want to hear the car and get it to run you rush the down pipe.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Well, I put my stock IC hoses back on and it didn't help. It may be slightly quieter, but only slightly, if at all ...

I'm stumped. I don't have an aftermarket DP yet, so I doubt that's it for me.

I did notice a bracket(?) for a hose or something on the left side of my IC that doesn't have a hose in it. I'm wondering if the guy who put in my UP may have forgotten to connect some hose or even put it back through the bracket and it may be making contact with something. But when I looked around the engine bay I couldn't see a loose hose.

I'm going to search for a high res picture of the engine bay and see if I can find what should be going there.

Quick Reply: Weird Sound After Uppipe Install