Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Up pipe cat. out and still can't rev past 5 grand

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
So you had a MBC, a BOV, and a CAI on the car, all things that are known to cause problems with and break the car, then you increased boost on stock fuel. Now the car is broken.

How is that the fault of SOA? I'm confused.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti swap, VF22 18psi, 255l fule pump,ecutek 93 oct, Full exhaust TXS, Sti ra gears, much more...
no im not blaming that on soa, that matter is somthing totally different. I know what happend to the car. Im confused because there alot of people running what i was running and were fine. I wanna know what could of happend to my car, cause im still not sure that its internal yet. I live by Pasiley Automotive im going to bring them the car next week and get there opinion and have them fix it.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Transmission then? heh. It blew up on your car and not others probabaly for a variety of reasons. Could be the weather where you live. Could be that you drive hard all the time (most likely). Could be a different brand of CAI. Could be you got one of the luckier out of the factory setups. Could be the gas you buy. etc. etc.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 04 Sti swap, VF22 18psi, 255l fule pump,ecutek 93 oct, Full exhaust TXS, Sti ra gears, much more...
well i dont drive hard all the time i have my real race car for that. I put only the best gas in the car mostly 93 sometimes 100 unleaded. The tranny blew when the car had 116 miles on it lol ive been driving stick since i was 16 years old so when they told me i blew it up i laughed and am now in the process of sueing them for the almost 5 grand they robbed me for.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:48 AM

mmboost no offence but you don't happen to work for SOA do you? Just a weird feeling I got? Because that last reply sounded alot like was an SOA rep said to me.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:22 AM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
Dude, clearly I understand your anger.

I got aggravated back when my car wasn't accepted for the clutch replacement or fixing of my paint when it was only at 22k. The clutch went on me trying to get out of the way of a tractor trailer... I had to have to towed.. chose local dealer to have it serviced.. then went to my dealer that i bought the car from and wanted either money back or services or something.. They said.. well you should have had it towed to us.. right.. when i was freakin a far pitch away.. I'm sure it would have been covered. Anyway I wrote a nasty note posted it on the forums.. a year later a lot-rat job pops up at the dealer.. i go in to apply and i am shown the nasty note and the "THREAT" that i made of "I'm going to play put the ball bearing in every muffler of every car on the lot".. Point being.. it was water under the bridge and whatever.. excuse my rambling on. Don't point fingers cause they, "SOA" have bigger badder bank accounts and bigger, meaner, badder and nastier lawyers than you do.

My car now has 93k on it and I have taken it completely apart, all drivetrain, subframe, diffs, axles, motor out, interior replaced, body work, suspension you name it.. numerous times.. hence I no longer let any subaru tech touch it.

However, enough about me... 5 speed tranny of your boobaru blowing at 116 miles.. give me a break.. unless the car was rip-**** owned by some 5 year old test driving it (i.e. it was the demo car WHICH might i add.. my car WAS), there has to be something else going on.

Hell I own a race-car of my own. A 1986 Ford Mustang.. my white trash ferrari. With a 7.5 liter swap (460) and T-88 turbo... thumper, so yeah, I know all about dog boxes and gears and tensile strength.

With 342whp and 329wtq my car (My wrx wagon with 70k on the setup thats making those numbers) STILL has the stock 5 speed and a STOCK rated clutch and i have had NO problems in 70k (AND I BEAT THE LIVING **** out of it EVERY day.. like it owes me money). So yeah.. maybe I lucked out.. or maybe you just got a little too excited when you got your 4wd turbo beast.

I'm not trying to point fingers or start a pissing contest, but everything happens for a reason.. and that is why there is such thing as the quality control department before something leaves a factory.

------------------------------------------------------------

NOW.. enough of my ranting.. as for your troubles.

A cai/bov/mbc. Yeah they will break a car.. but not a wrx without some serious BAD/WRONG driver input. I.E. a MBC set at 20psi on a stock turbo. or a bov installed without any spring or a cai dripping in water.

But anyway.... what did you do to melt your probe? (god that sounds wrong).. how many miles are on the car? What have you done/did you do before you tried to 'fix' whatever happened. I know I'm asking you to reiterate yourself after shunning you. But everyone deserves help when they get turned down by a dealer.

Tell us exactly what you did or PM me or IM me on AIM my nick is Lncentive -- in case you don't want any 'reps' reading anything.

-G

Last edited by WRXWagon203; 12-09-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:58 PM

wrxwagon i hea ya, im still sueing them it happens i have a very good friend who is a top lawer in NYC and they promised me if it went to court they would make a joke of SOA's lawerys. Im not worried about that at all. Im just pissed cause i cant figure why i cant run more then 12lbs with a MBC!!And cant rev past 4250 rpm with out it pulling timeing and fuel.?? The turbo is perfect i checked. Im really leaning toward a eleletric problem, but i dunno i cant seem by myself to trouble shoot it.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-power-ej20t-pre-2006-wrx-jdm-60/back-stock-04-still-wont-rev-past-5g-79720/

This is the other post related to this. Take notice of: 04' wrx(known problems with adding an mbc), 17psi, cai. You pay to play. You cannot always count on "friends" for correct info on tuning a car. Nuff said.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:50 PM

Im talking about the transmission going at 116 miles!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:38 AM

Sowait.. you are suing for the tranny going at 116 miles.. you never answered if it was a demo car or not.. not that it will make a huge difference.. but.. you could use that as part of your argument if you wanted.. Yet still dude.. it doesnt just happen you had to do something to cause it.. i.e. **** driving or beating it like it owes you more money than a polynesian *****.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:00 AM

yea it was the test drive car, and im suing because the tranny blew up at 116miles, Ive been driving stick for 7 years now i laughed at the SOA rep. when he said i couldnt drive. So i bet him i could out drive him wrx vs. wrx and he wouldnt do it lol. Im still looking for help on my car its not internal i had a mechanic scope it. They told me it could be the ecu because no codes are coming up, or it could be a vac. leak somewhere. Im not even sure if i know where all the vac. hoses are im lost at this problem.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM

I am sorry to hear of all of the trouble you have had with your wrx. I just don't understand why you would even consider modding a car that the tranny "blew up" at 116 miles. Also if you are in the middle of a lawsuit would it have been wise to mod the car until the suit is resolved? Good luck.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Sorry dude.. but if you blew up the tranny on your wrx.. i highly doubt it is a good idea to ask a rep to go at it with you wrx vs wrx.. err.. its actually pretty friggin' stupid if you ask me.. it just proves to him that you can 'race' with a transmission. If i was in your shoes I would have acted like a grandma and stood by the fact that you can drive a 5 speed.. but err.. not that you are willing to bet against a rep. That will definitely not earn you brownie points if they bring that up in court.

Its great and all that you have all this money to have a top lawyer friend in nyc.. but seriously.. I doubt its going to get you far. As the previous post to mine just read... you shouldnt have even touched the car after the tranny blew..

Well.. now you are sorta in a **** hole.. due to the fact that you just keep digging it for yourself with every post you make about your car.

Just quit while you are ahead man; it will only get you deeper.

PM me your email address I'll send you a few pics of where the vaccum hoses are and some directions. Other than that.. its all up to you.. to trace. It could be some thing as easy as a cracked hose.. it could even be a pcv valve.. did you check your valve, replace it lately? How many miles are you at. Are your valve/rocker covers sweating/leaking at all through the top gasket? I could take pics of what I'm speaking of if it will help. But once again, don't keep on riding soa's ***. The more you post about your mods. The more they have against you.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:01 PM

^^^^^^^^ Agree. Your right about those reps too. You'd be surprised at their driving experience. They get a lot of free driving clinics. I know a lot of the local sales staff at my dealer went to driver training and product info courses when the STi came out. They got to run em pretty good too from what a couple of guys told me. Of course i could be wrong too. As said before just go to the dealer and be honest and pay for the repairs if they won't warranty. They did not tell you to mod your car.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2005
Sunno if you tried this or not but try to reset the ECU. Unplug the negative and turn the car on and run the electricity out of whats remaining in the car. This is just a random suggestion so dont count on it to work. At this point, I would try anything.