Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Ultimate racing 2-way downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Ultimate racing 2-way downpipe

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...nPipe-CA.shtml

Ok so I want to open up discussion on this product because my search didn't turn up anything. Someone can point me to the old thread if it's already been discussed... It seems like an awesome way to have a sleeper exhaust system. My only thoughts were that if you suddenly free up the exhaust by opening the valve, how long would it take for the ECU to compensate and make more power from it. I was thinking it would be great coupled with Cobb's Accessport because you can switch maps on the fly... Say at a stoplight you need to get away from said stoplight in a rush for some reason... Just flick the exhaust open and switch your map on your ecu. Bam, instant stage 2. Or perhaps when you want to tear down your favorite stretch of road, or when you go to the track, you get the idea. The other thing I thought of was that fully opening up the downpipe might be too little restriction, resulting in not enough back-pressure. Anyway what do you guys think? It would be a whole lot cheaper than a turboback but you wouldn't have the power all the time. I'm sure it is VERY loud when you have the valve open and you couldn't drive around on the street like that for long without getting pulled over...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
seems like a good idea. i just wish the product didn't look like a 2yr old made it. seem like the quality of the piece i questionable. there sould only be a couple of welds on the entire unit.

if it was better quality i could see using that too. but the electrical bypass systems are also illegal so you're adding X100 amount of attention to our exhaust when someone peeks underneath. seems like you'd have an actual chance with a lot of after market products on the market.

eric
Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
seems like a good idea. i just wish the product didn't look like a 2yr old made it. seem like the quality of the piece i questionable. there sould only be a couple of welds on the entire unit.

if it was better quality i could see using that too. but the electrical bypass systems are also illegal so you're adding X100 amount of attention to our exhaust when someone peeks underneath. seems like you'd have an actual chance with a lot of after market products on the market.

eric
That's a good point. I agree with you on the quality issue too. However I feel that because you retain the rest of the exhaust as stock it might not be so easy to spot. Especially if you strapped a piece or two of stock heat shield around it... Also if you are careful with the use of it you would never have a problem with anyone peeping under your car... I feel I would need to see one installed to see how blantantly obvious it is, I suppose it would be with the whole valve assembly and such. It depends how loud it is too. I mean you would obviously close it if you were pulled over. I actually didn't know they were illegal. Figures though. Thought it would be a good alternative for those people who track their cars. So long as they never use the cutout on the road it would be legal. Hmmm. I dunno, interesting idea though, I shall have to ponder it some more. Anyone here has seenone of these on a WRX?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I wonder what kind of turbulence that would create in the exhaust flow when you open up the valve. Seems some would still flow out (though the arrows are convincing )

My thoughts on that are:

There are tons of tuners out there. The really respected ones (COBB, Vishnu, s^2 <-- ) don't make something like that, but regular, or traditional exhausts.

Why would only ONE company see the benefits of such a system? Seems to me either it's not worth the trouble (legality, etc) or it's not that great a system, and the really respected tuners have opted not to go with it.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by sonicsuby
I wonder what kind of turbulence that would create in the exhaust flow when you open up the valve. Seems some would still flow out (though the arrows are convincing )

My thoughts on that are:

There are tons of tuners out there. The really respected ones (COBB, Vishnu, s^2 <-- ) don't make something like that, but regular, or traditional exhausts.

Why would only ONE company see the benefits of such a system? Seems to me either it's not worth the trouble (legality, etc) or it's not that great a system, and the really respected tuners have opted not to go with it.
Actually there are at least two people who are manufacturing a smilar unit. As for the major tuners not making one. Their mission statement is not to make dual purpose cars. I am quite sure as you mentioned that this is not an ideal system (turbulence at the "y-split" etc.). It does however offer an "on-off switch" for your exhaust. Cobb and the other major tuners wouldn't produce something like this, or at least I don't see them doing it, because it is a bit crude. If they want to free up the exhaust they research and develop a turboback that offers the least turbulence etc... Plus even though most tuners say their products are for "off road use only" that is just a legal statement. They know their customers are going to use their products on the street so they try to make them passable and liveable for people who use their cars as daily drivers. I don't see the fact that the major tuners don't make them as a reason why the sytem wouldn't work well. This is kind of a "special" product aimed at a smaller market... Not those who want a good looking/sounding exhaust, not those looking for an optimally tuned exhaust for maximun power at the track, rather it seems to be aimed at those who have the car as their daily driver but occasionally would like the benefits of a free-ed up exhaust.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:16 PM

wow, no one else has an opinion?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:53 AM

Car Info: WRX Shooting Brake
This downpipe, made by Quicktime Performance, looks to be a superior design, with much better flow:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/downpipe_main.htm

Demonstration video of QTEC down pipe on a WRX (with Motley Crue background music): http://208.254.222.235/QTEC/WRXVideo.wmv

At $600, it's not that much more than a regular downpipe. I really want one of these. I could have a lot of fun with this. It would be great to open it up next to some chump at a stoplight, or behind some slowpoke on the highway.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Can anyone take a guess as to valve operation under full/partial throttle? I'm curious if you can only actuate it under idle conditions. I gotta tell, I like it. Nice video. Combine that with a remote map selector and you got yourself a nice toy.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
The operation of it is merely a switch. When you want it open, you open it. It shouldn't be throttle controlled at all.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:19 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Originally posted by InfamousDX
The operation of it is merely a switch. When you want it open, you open it. It shouldn't be throttle controlled at all.
Sorry, I think you didn't understand my question. My fault. How does the valve react under large pressure variance (idle to full throttle) when you try and actuate it? I realise it is an electronic switch, but I am curious as to how the stepper motor behaves under non-idle conditions. You may "open it" when you "open it", but I want to know if can open it under any throttle condition. **Not that throttle plays a part in the actuation**!

e.g. going down the highway at 3k rpm, and then opening the valve.

Hope that is clearer......
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Sorry, but that thing looks like ****... Quality looks like a 5/10
Old 04-05-2004, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
An electronic cutout... people have been doing it for years. Lots of V8's and other turbo cars do it. www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec seem to have the whole thing down pat.