Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

top mount intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
there really isn't a best one oer say. just get whatever tickles your fancy between the APS, TurboXS, etc.

I will say that you should stay away from the STi ones though. There aren't as big as the larger aftermarket units..

For the amount that you are spending though, you would get more gains out of a FMIC, depending on your setup
Old 06-27-2004, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by jigga
there really isn't a best one oer say. just get whatever tickles your fancy between the APS, TurboXS, etc.

I will say that you should stay away from the STi ones though. There aren't as big as the larger aftermarket units..

For the amount that you are spending though, you would get more gains out of a FMIC, depending on your setup
agreed, just get like a TXS or perrin one ive heard goog things about the turboxs but havent heard good or bad things about the perrin but it looks really similer to the txs.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:14 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
If I was to get a TMIC right now, I would get the HKS one. It is not "officially" available in US, but any JDM importers can get it for you. It features the superior GT core design, properly sized and flow-tested end tanks and it comes with the intercooler hoses. A perfect treat for all JDM fanatics.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:35 PM

How much does the HKS tmic cost?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Admin v2.0

punkrocksailor, may I ask why you say that?

HKS quality is superb. There are very few companies that make their stuff better than HKS.

And, I am not just saying that. I work in the industry so I see all kinds of parts. And, I am not biased, since I have Greddy parts on my car.

HKS stuff is amazing.

The IC is ~ $1700.

It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 AM

got a pic???
Old 06-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Admin v2.0

If you are referring to the downpipe that HKS has for WRX, then those parts were specifically made for US market, knowing that in general people will not pay $1000 for a downpipe. Yes, HKS has a catted downpipe that is proven to add 50whp in the mid range.

That downpipe was pretty much made to make the exhaust systems sell better. It is no jewel by itself. It is a cheap replacement for OEM twin-catted downpipe.

AVO is an aussie brand. I prefer JDM parts, so I will not say anything about AVO.
ARC stuff is at least twich expensive as the HKS stuff. And, ARC doesn't make much for WRX anyways.

HKS is by far the most reputable manufacturer and tuner of automobiles in Japan. I would say that over 70% of tuner shops over there prefer HKS stuff. In some cases (engine management) HKS is the ONLY way to go. HKS's "magic box" or F-CON V-Pro powers almost all high power tuner cars. Time attack cars, drift machines, peak power. You name it.

Same goes for HKS's GT turbo's and intercoolers. The amount of work that was put into developing these parts is overwhealming.

And, HKS's electronics are simply amazing. Their EVC-PRO is still the ONLY boost controller capable of managing boost in excess of 2.5 bar. And, HKS was the first company to introduce such type of products as electronic piggy back fuel controllers and speed density air flow conversion units (VPC).

And, lets not forget HKS's HyperMax coilover system. Those are some of the best coilovers you can buy. No surprise that Prodrive uses HKS to manufacturer their coilovers.

This is just the icing. I can go on like this forever, as I have seen, used, studied and installed just about every major part by major manufacturer on WRX's and other cars.

May I ask where do you work?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
HKS ROCKS!!!!!! Thank goodness for them for making an cheap good quality downpipe and uppipe that has made good affordable hp for me, yes their exhaust is expensive but it is proven to be the best HP gainer.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 AM

i have most of the HKS products on my car and i love it

Quick Reply: top mount intercoolers