Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

short shifter problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
short shifter problem...

i guess this really isnt a huge problem, but anyways i recently installed a b&m short shifter on my 02 wrx... and immediatly i had problems... the clutch rod was rubbing on the metal plate that goes underneath the base plate for the shifter, basically it was rubbing on the metal underneath the car.. so i took a hammer and flat head screwdriver and started hittin away... so i ended up fixing that problem... so now it doesnt rub anymore.. but now when i shift into 2nd and 4th, it seams like it is pushing was to hard into those gears.. when you shift it clunks into gear, and the clunck is comming from the tranny so im wondering if that is normal maybe becuz since its suposed to shift faster maybe thats a part of the shift pattern... and then last, it seems like going into 1st 3rd and 5th gears are preaty ruff like there is something resisting going in the gears.. they go in fine... but just not as easy at stock.. now i asked a couple shops around and they said that its suposed to get preaty stiff on some models, as in thats one of the features.. but i wanted to get a couple more opinions with others.. i greatly appriciate your time and helpin me out!!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
i have a b&m shifter also. i don't like it at all. the throw is good, but the shifter itself is very noisy and feels rough going into all gears. i had to bend the plate, cause it wouldn't shift into 1st at all.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
so basically what im experincing is normal with these shifters... well if thats true then im relieved... but maybe someone else has some feedback on this shifter on their car.... thanx laoba!