Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

the RS w/WRX swap endevor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Car Info: Silver 02 WRX
the RS w/WRX swap endevor

well it look slike what was such an awsome deal isn't as awsome of a deal. i thought since i couldnt keep coolant in the car and it was coming out the up pipe and downpipe that my turbo was toast. I WAS WAY WRONG!!!

finnaly got around to taking a spark plug out (what a pain) and coolant came gushing out of my spark plug hole. so now it looks like theres alot more worng here than thought before. im not sure the extent of the damage but im already looking at tearing open the motor.

i think what happend is that somthing warped when the car started running hot from lack of coolant. i turned it off before the gauge got to the red mark but if there isnt coolant to read the temp. of it may have been running alot hotter than i think it was before i turned the motor off. i figured there would be coolant in the oil if there was somthing that wrong with the motor.

SO what are my options?

will it be cheaper snag a USDM WRX motor and just swap it with the one thats in there rather than tear this one down and repair it?

how about the jdm motors with there better internals? bould i use the block from one of those and mate the head to it?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
You have a few options concerning the swap. Some of it depends on what you are able to salvage after assessing the damage to your current engine (cracked cylinder head, blown head gasket, etc.). Some folks have gone with the USDM STi 2.5 short block. Not sure what is the best way to go since I don't know about engine availability in the Michigan area. You might want to contact LIC Motorsports because they have expertise in USDM and JDM engine swaps, including wiring and engine management.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush