Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Problems w/ Backfiring & blinking CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:37 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
did you change anything on the car since your last session on the dyno? i'm not talking about things like bodywork or wheels, but any changes under the hood. if you have, i'd set up another appointment on the dyno to get things remapped.
before you hit the dyno, there are a couple of things you might try. pull the spark plugs and check those. the ceramic tops should be a nice mocha/latte color. if they're black and crusty with oily looking junk, then you're running way too rich. also look to make sure that the plugs aren't loosing material from metal points where the spark arcs from, it's usually a sign of detonation.
i think you're also on the right track looking into problems with the BOV. getting hard onto the brakes after being hard on the throttle is when the BOV is working the hardest, and if you're backfiring then it means that the BOV is dumping too much fuel into the motor causing a rich condition. you're probably running catless too aren't you?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:45 AM

i don't think that plugs would make it run the way that you described, they're just a symptom of the problem.
you could also try replacing the BOV with the stocker, which would probably solve the problem of backfires under hard braking, but wouldn't help with the problem under hard throttle.
i don't suppose that the UTEC has a datalogging function, does it?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:06 PM

will your laptop let you do more than check for detonation? if it'll let you look at fuel curves/maps you might be able to figure out where it's running so rich. that said, if you aren't comfortable with that, take it to a professional tuner. it's too easy to make a real mess of things unless you know what you're doing with air/fuel mixtures.
as for why the car started doing this all of a sudden, i couldn't tell you. things don't usually break on their own, there is something that causes it. has the weather recently gotten really warm where you live? hot air contains less O2 per cubic foot, which could make you run rich if the UTEC was tuned to the ragged edge for maximum possible power under the conditions of the dyno run. it seems kinda unlikely to me that something like that would cause it, so i'd look hard at the car, and the underhood mods to see if i could find the problem.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:15 PM

what i'm getting at is that if the tuners made your air/fuel curve work really well on the dyno, then something changed so that it wasn't working so well. i can't imagine that a tuner would give a street given car a map so sensative that it would have problems with climate changes.
does the UTEC allow you to store multiple air/fuel/ignition maps? if that's the case, how are they switched? is it possible that the UTEC might have been switched to another map? i know that some of the other aftermarket ECUs have this capability.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:11 PM

cold air wouldn't cause this, cold air contains more oxygen per cubic foot than warm air.
the reason the engine looses power when the CEL comes on (at least this is my understanding) is that the ECU retards the timing by a few degrees to prevent detonation. less aggressive timing means less power when you're hard on the gas.
you might try hooking up the laptop to the UTEC and going for a drive with a buddy holding the laptop in the passenger seat. when the CEL comes on, see what shows up in the data logger.