Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Possible negative results to doing the 3/16 mod.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:14 PM

Car Info: Black 03 WRX
Possible negative results to doing the 3/16 mod.

I did this mod a super long time ago. Probably over a year and nothing has happened, I didn't feel any difference and no CELs went off. From reading some of the posts about it here though, people are saying not to do under any circumstances. I am curious as to what could happen and how this happens technically.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
what is this 3/16 mod all about??? any differents compare to stock? what is your experience?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:56 PM

Basicall, you are just replacint the black 1/8" hose connector between the wastegate solenoid and the turbo. You can find this mod on scoobymods.com if you look around for it. People on some of the other forums rave about this one. None of those other forums are filled with techies like I-club is.

When I first installed it, it fealt like 1st and second gear spooled up and boosted a bit smoother. It felt like the car had a small bit of extra pull. I drove a couple other WRXs though and didn't feel like theirs was any lacking compared to mine though. Luckily no issues have surfaced. My gauge seems to show everything OK. My boost goes up to about 14 or so and the drops down a little (like .5 psi) once the wastegate opens and then levels out at normal levels, all in a matter of a split second. I am thinking that that is normal. Unfortunately I did not have a gauge before I did this mod.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 PM

Just put the stock one back. I had to cut a little peice off of the line since the line streched a bit around the 3/16th connector. Should be an interesting experiment as to how the ECU and the rest of the car reacts. I hope it doesn't freak out.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Well...Went driving with the stock one back on. The boost didn't peak as high, it flat out just stopped at max. With the 3/16 connector it would go all the way up to 15 and then settle at about 14. First and second gear don't boost as high and as fast anymore and don't go up to 13.5 but instead stay at 13. Basically, the boost promptly stops at 13.5 where as before it would wobble between 14 and 15. I will reset my ECU tomorrow and maybe the computer needs to relearn something new.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:59 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
Originally Posted by rustokman
I will reset my ECU tomorrow and maybe the computer needs to relearn something new.
well what happened??.....and can you post the link to that mod??...thanx

-ROB
Old 09-11-2004, 02:32 PM

Basically resetting the ECU didn't change anything. The turbo is now a bit more precise at the top of the spool-range. It stops concretely at 13.5 or so, doesn't wobble at all. The car seems a little more sluggish when spooling from a dead stop.

From my own analysis, the 3/16 connecter makes the turbo spool just a little higher (about 1.0-1.5 extra psi). It also seem to let the turbo spool a little more freely somehow. On the other hand, it makes the boost peak at about 15 psi and the wobble around to like 14.5 or so. At the top of the rpm range the turbo would also fluctuate a little, but never below 14.
It never set of any CELs for me, but I have heard others complaining about it.

I might bore the stock just a tiny little bit just to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

link: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564
Old 09-12-2004, 11:38 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
thanks for the link....one question:i'm assuming if i have an ebc this mod wouldnt do anything to help with boost lag or target boost?? since the target boost is aready set?
thanks for your help.

-ROB
Old 09-13-2004, 12:24 AM

Exactly, the ebc does what this little thingy does but an ebc is adjustable. I don't think that you would be able to do it with anysort of controller, I think I remember seeing that written somewhere.