Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

nooB....how do I know that a sparplug is damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:19 AM

nooB....how do I know that a sparplug is damaged?

n00b here....How do I know that a sparkplug is damaged??

Astacun
Old 03-05-2003, 02:18 PM

The other day I had a set of springs installed and while I was driving the car on to the floor jack, the installer (who is not a mecanic, but probably knows more than me) told me that the car sounded funny...the exact translation for the word he used (it was in spanish) was failing...he said "your car sounds like it's failing...like something is wrong with it". He said that it's probably a sparkplug. He had done previous work on my car and he said that the last time he saw it, the car was different...the car was ok he said. I installed a UTEC, uppipe and turboback exhaust since the last time that guy saw the car...I don't know if that will influence his perception of the car. I didn't notice anything similar to what he is saying when I installed thoose mods.

The next day I had to take my car to a muffler shop and the people there told me the same thing. To tell you the truth, I don't feel anything. The car doesn't feel weird or anything. They explained that it was as if the car didn't respond instantaneously when I press the gas. And they said that engine was vibrating more than usual when I pressed the gas, then after responding the engine would be smooth again. Again...I didn't notice anything until they brought it up, but I don't remember being careful enough to observe a different behavior before. I just feel the car is the same as always. So..either they aren't used to hearing a boxer engine and it makes them think there's something wrong with it...or they are right and I can't tell the difference. My car was having problems with some false knock events triggered by the exhaust and the UTEC stepped in a few times. I don't know if the unburned fuel could've damaged a sparkplug. I am a n00b so I really don't know...that's why I asked.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:21 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/t...ark/spark.html