Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Newly installed uppipe and downpipe concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Newly installed uppipe and downpipe concerns

Hello everyone, about 4 months ago a friend of mine gave me his generic downpipe and custom generic uppipe before he left for another country. I thought I'd wait it out until after I smog my car to install these bad boys. I finally had the time today to install them and after 10 hrs fiddling with my car I finally installed everything together.

My main concern is the sound of the engine, now I never had a turbo car with aftermarket downpipe and uppipe so I wasnt sure what to look out for sound wise. Needless to say it sounds really really mean, so I wasnt sure if it's the sound I am looking for. (I will post video clip tomorrow on roughly how it sounds like)

The downpipe does have the infamous shut off rattle, so besides grinding down the crossmember does anyone else have any tips on how to eliminate the rattle?

I guess I will have to get use to the foul scent of the downpipe also, correct?

Thank you for any insights and tips you guys have!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I hear an exhaust leak. Do you get any popping from under the hood at all? If so you've got a leak up there. If not put your hands near any of the connections and check.

If you're catless yes there will be some fuel smells.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by adriandjesus
Hello everyone, about 4 months ago a friend of mine gave me his generic downpipe and custom generic uppipe before he left for another country. I thought I'd wait it out until after I smog my car to install these bad boys. I finally had the time today to install them and after 10 hrs fiddling with my car I finally installed everything together.

My main concern is the sound of the engine, now I never had a turbo car with aftermarket downpipe and uppipe so I wasnt sure what to look out for sound wise. Needless to say it sounds really really mean, so I wasnt sure if it's the sound I am looking for. (I will post video clip tomorrow on roughly how it sounds like)

The downpipe does have the infamous shut off rattle, so besides grinding down the crossmember does anyone else have any tips on how to eliminate the rattle?

I guess I will have to get use to the foul scent of the downpipe also, correct?

Thank you for any insights and tips you guys have!
It's hard to hear over your exhaust but it does sound like you've got a pretty large exhaust leak. Although your turbo noises are badass now, you may want to consider getting a muffled exhaust cause you're gonna be pissing people off all over the place running around straight pipe, including popos.

The reason you have leaks is cause you're using crappy generic parts. The flanges on generic parts generally don't line up well or mate up flat to the surfaces they connect to. Some parts, like a catback exhaust, you can get away with running a knock-off because post turbo leaks don't matter, but you still might end up with a huge exhaust leak. Your uppipe however will be a big problem, which I'm guessing is where your biggest leak is. This isnt what you want to hear, but speaking from experience, ditch the crap parts and never look back. You can find branded items on CL these days for cheap as hell.

Your shutoff rattle will go away with proper fitting parts, but the smell of catless exhaust will always remain. Muahahahahaaa!!!