Notices
Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Installing Intercooler Hoses(Intercooler Removal)

Old 08-22-2003, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Installing Intercooler Hoses(Intercooler Removal)

I didn't see anything here on I-club for installing intercooler hoses(not BOV Hose though). This should be a very easy install for everyone, even with my minimal mechanical skills it went very smooth.

1) Remove Hoses from the tubes that run along the front of the intercooler (2 on the passenger side 1 on the driver side.)

2) Remove the (2) 12mm Bolts that hold the BOV to the intercooler.

3) Loosen the the clamp holding the intercooler "Y" pipe to the Turbo , loosen the clamps on the pipe from intercooler to throttle body(TB).

4) Remove the (2) 12mm bolts that hold the intercooler in place(1 on each side of the intercooler)

5) Pull the intercooler towards the rear of the car to free it from the hose to the TB. Here comes the tricky part getting the "Y" hose/intercooler off of the turbo, this requires a little force and moving around of the intercooler, it helps to have someone pop a screwdriver between the hose and turbo and pry the hose off a little bit to make it a little easier getting the intercooler free.

6) Once the intercooler is off set it upside down somewhere safe, loosen the two clamps holding the "y" pipe to the intercooler. Remove the "Y" pipe from the intercooler. NOTE: It is normal to find a bit of oil in the intercooler hoses.

7) Install new "Y" hose to the intercooler, on my samcos it seemed as if I need to leave a little bit of hose off the places it connects to the intercooler to ensure a good fit to the turbo. Tighten the two clamps on the two spots the hose attaches to the intercooler.

8) Install new hose to throttle body, tighten the clamp down on this.

9) Reinstall the intercooler make sure to get the hose all the way on to the turbo. Tighten down the clamp for the hose on the turbo. Tighten the second clamp for the hose to TB hose.

10) Bolt the BOV back on and bolt the intercooler back in place. Reattach the three vacuum hoses to the aluminum tubing

Take it for a run and see what the butt-dyno tells you.

According to my butt-dyno,I didn't notice much from the intercooler hoses, the car feels a bit smoother, a little better throttle response, a bit quicker spool, and a some piece of mind(the stock "Y" hose is ****). Delta dash data also relects the lack of changes and about 100 RPM quicker to full boost.(No noticeable change on the DD road dyno either)

Click the picture to enlarge.

Last edited by Slack; 08-25-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 AM

Nice job. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:45 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
did something similar for the XT's IC here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2230