Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Help...my wrx is making some funny noises!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 PM

Help...my wrx is making some funny noises!

Help!

On Tuesday I headed over to MPJ motorsports to purchase/install a helix uppipe/downpipe combo for a really dope price (btw much respect to mpj/gb...it was my first time buying something from these folks & despite my wrx's problems, they left me with a very good impression). The install process went well and on my way back home i was really feeling the power the minor upgrade resulted in.

On an errand later that day i noticed a knocking/vibrating noise coming from the middle of the engine bay...specifically when I put her in reverse or on 1st or 2nd immediately after mashing down on the peddle . I did a quick visual check at home and made sure all of the bolts were tight and the installation of the downpip/uppipe was solid.

So i took the wrx back to MPJ to have them take a look at it. At first they thought it was due to the heatshield rubbing against the downpipe...but that didn't end up being the problem. They did a visual check and confirmed that it was not the uppipe and downpipe causing the problem. After a few hours...nothign was resolved, & all of us were pretty much baffeled about noise. It was mentioned that the problem could be a busted LSD, or my tranny could be about to go (i have 42k miles on my wagon).

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas what the vibrations could be? The noise is beginning to become more excessive and occurs when i lay off the gas at highway speeds as well.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 AM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
Red face

Stupid question/resolution -- check around the engine bay.. Sometimes... just sometimes.. mechanics are going too quickly for their own good and leave tools or a bolt somewhere it shouldnt.. Does it happen when the car is sitting and you are revving? Or just in motion? A good way to see if its a busted LSD.. at least in my experience.. drain the fluid and look for chunks .... other than that. Check for tools/bolts.

*Scratches Head*

-G