Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

DIY: Throttle body porting???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
DIY: Throttle body porting???

I was wondering if anyone has done the DIY throttle body porting mod?

If so i was wondering what I could expect from doing it myself? Such as, performance gains, problems to look out for, is it even worth the time to do so, or other reason to or not to do it to my car. I have a 2003 WRX sedan with only a cat-back on it so far mod wise. And was just looking for some, some what free HP gains. Clutch is going out on me so can't really buy anything for it as of yet, untill i get that fixed and save more $$$, I'm gonna be going with the ACT clutch and streetlight flywheel and will be installing it myself to save on green. And cuz i have alot of fun working on my car.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally Posted by Proj.JDM_STI
I was wondering if anyone has done the DIY throttle body porting mod?

If so i was wondering what I could expect from doing it myself? Such as, performance gains, problems to look out for, is it even worth the time to do so, or other reason to or not to do it to my car. I have a 2003 WRX sedan with only a cat-back on it so far mod wise. And was just looking for some, some what free HP gains. Clutch is going out on me so can't really buy anything for it as of yet, untill i get that fixed and save more $$$, I'm gonna be going with the ACT clutch and streetlight flywheel and will be installing it myself to save on green. And cuz i have alot of fun working on my car.
If you have a die grinder or Rotozip its fairly easy to do along with some other projects.I recommend getting a Standard Abrasives porting kit.Alone don't expect much on the butt dyno,but i did the I.C. elbows,turbo,TGV's and exhaust manifolds with that porting kit and a Rotozip.There is a lot of lip that can be removed on the stock throttlebody that causes some turbulence.Do a search on NASIOC in the 2.0L section and you will find some tutorials with pics on porting/polishing.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Question

I just ported my Throttle body and it looks sexy but my car started surging on me, did that happen to you?.....Also, when i started my car i forgot to plug my MAF sensor back in could that be why it's doing that? Could i have broken something by not pluging that back in and starting my car?.....I reset my ECU and it surged on me while doing so, so i pulled over and turned the car off and on, and it stopped and hasen't done it again. Should it still be doing that even though I plugged the MAF back in and reset my ECU? I'm going get my ECU scanned though to see if it was just because I didn't plug my MAF back in or if something else is going wrong. And while I'm driving and I depresse my clutch (not shifting or putting it in neutral but keeping it in the same gear) it goes to 1500 rpm but it idles at 500 rpm, should it goto 500 rpm when i depresse the clutch or is that normal for it to goto 1500 rpm? Sorry i just can't remember if my car was always doing this. Need to know if anyone elses car does the same?

Last edited by Proj.JDM_STI; 10-08-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Oh forgot to ask where can i get the Standard Abrasives porting kit?