Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Chugging and possible reasons....(and a story)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM

Chugging and possible reasons....(and a story)

OK...i have posted on here already that I have had problems with my 03 WRX. I didn't notice it when I bought the car, but now, when I am in 5th gear, and crusing at about 2500-2750rpms, and I step on the gas, the car chuggs, feels like it is accelerating and then pulls back and then goes. It does this until after about 3250 rpms. It is never consistent, and sometimes it chuggs a couple times, and something more.

So...I took it to the dealership....they said all codes came out ok.

I looked on here, and people who have had the same problem, have said that it was a clogged cat in the up pipe that was cauing the problem as air is not able escape the turbo. Replacement of the up pipe supposedly solved everything.

I went back to the dealership. I took my car on a test drive with a technician. He said that it is NORMAL for the car to chug like that because it is the injectors reacting to the throttle. He said that if it was a cat problem, that a code would pop up on the computer and/or a clogged cat would produce a backfire.

Needless to say...they did nothing to the car.

Is it normal acclerating? Anyone else have this problem with their WRX?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 AM

Car Info: WRX
sometimes this happens to me too. tho only when i mash the pedal. could mods cause this? anyone?

mod: catless perrin up and down pipe, blitz catback
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM

The only mod I have is a Vishnu Subzero remaped ECU. And, it is only when I mash the pedal too.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Im not a pro. but i have that problem from time to time and i think its gonna be due to the rpms not being up high enough for the turbo to actually staied spooled. ive noticed when it dose that to back off of the gas and go into it slowly and youll see itll stop. or down shift. I got all the exhaust parts perrin i/c hose and cobb stage 2. Just my .02 i could be wrong but i dont think iam. If ima im sure someone will correct me.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
You need to downshift...you are way out of the power band. You can't drive a manual tranny like an automatic. Keep your rpms up around 3k+ to keep the engine from bogging.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:25 AM

The biggest pain though is that when I am crusing at 65mph, and want to step on it...the chugging happens. I guess I just have to downshift, if I want to go.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by seod
OK...i have posted on here already that I have had problems with my 03 WRX. I didn't notice it when I bought the car, but now, when I am in 5th gear, and crusing at about 2500-2750rpms, and I step on the gas, the car chuggs, feels like it is accelerating and then pulls back and then goes. It does this until after about 3250 rpms. It is never consistent, and sometimes it chuggs a couple times, and something more.
We can assume this is your first turbocharged vehicle?