Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Can Someone help this veteran on Veterans Day?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 AM

Can Someone help this veteran on Veterans Day?

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this. I got into a lite run with a friend of mine last night, and now have this loud slapping/knocking sound coming from my engine. My current (engine) mods are:
2004 WRX (41,000 miles)
Cobb Accessport Stage 2
ZeroSports Intake pipe (NOT CAI)
Perrin Intercooler Piping
Snorkus Delete
Gutted Uppipe
Tsudo ETS Downpipe (catless)
Magnaflow Muffler

I just changed my oil and tranny fluid 200 miles ago with Mobil 1 5w30 and Synchromesh/valvoline 75w90 as I do religiously. My car has NEVER been launched, or tracked. I am 29 year old married guy in the military, so, as you can guess, I don't get to drive it much! Anyway, it started after my friend (who owns a stock wrx wagon) wanted to see how much of a difference the Accessport made. We lined up at an abandoned training area, and took off. I specifically told him NOT to launch it and neither of us did. I got up to 135 and shut down. We then drove about 10 miles from there, shut off the car and went inside a store. When I came out, it was noticeably slower to crank and made a light flapping sound between 3200 and 4500 rpms. It almost sounded like a baffle was loose in the muffler. So, I drove it a few more miles to a friends house, where it was off for about 3 hours. When I cranked it back up again, it was even slower to crank and now made a loud clicking sound when I let off the accelerator, (not in gear). I began to drive it home and the sound gradually got louder. I pulled over to get gas, and shut it down. I looked over the car with a flashlight and didn't see anything. When I tried to crank it again, I almost sounded like the battery was dying. ( It was very slow to crank). I eventually got it home and shut it down again. By this time, it was making a loud knocking sound, almost like a rod knocking in a V8 engine. Disgusted, I left it alone and went to bed. This morning I decided to video it and post it up here for every to give me there opinions. Now its just making a loud slapping noise. I'm a little scared to start it again and attempt to drive it to subaru (15miles away). My oil and tranny fluid levels are perfect. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I do have pretty good video of it, but it is 7.6MB, so I can't email it.If someone can let me upload/ftp it, it would be greatly appreciated. Please help!!!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 AM

I forgot to mention, the slapping sound does increase with RPM.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
"making a loud knocking sound, almost like a rod knocking in a V8 engine."

I had that sound in my integra, the bolts at the bottom of the conn. rod had loosened, and eventually fell out causing the rod to go through the block. If it increasing with RPM's and it's coming from the engine.....I would venture to say its a rod. Hopefully someone will have a better guess. sorry
Old 11-11-2006, 11:40 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Piston slap? That can be very loud.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 AM

I took a under-the-hood video of the noise it is making, I just need someone to host it. Is there somewhere to upload it where I can get the advice of people on here?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Sounds like your future mod will be Sti block, SOunds kind alike a spun berring, Were you in the high rpm area for a long amount of time?
If you want send me the video and ill see if it the same sound mine made.
emstraumajunke@aol.com and ill try to help.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 03 sonic yellow wrx
yeah sounds like a con rod prob to me. prob spun a bearing. or you possibly bent an internal component, the slow crank is not good because that means there is extra resistance against the starter.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Ok, here is a link to the video:

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3386998586271116/dscn1138/

please take a look at it and tell me what you think.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the help fellas. The guys over at NASIOC are saying its definately a Rod Bearing. Anyone got any ideas on how much this is gonna cost me? Or any ideas on how I should go about getting my car running again? Any recommendations as far as an engine swap? And if I do a swap, will the ECU still work? What about the Accessport? Anyone work for Subaru on here?
I'm planning on getting it towed to my local Subaru Dealership in the morning to get an idea of just how bad they are gonna rape me.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:18 PM

Have you checked your oil? How long did you stay in high RPMs?
WHen you get it fixed put the Sti block in there dont replace it with an ej20.
heres the thread from mine swap will give you a few idea on prices
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1095945

BUt sounds like a rod berring and the more you run the car the louder it will get mine was still in the kinda quite stage when i pulle dmy motor
Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
I'm sorry to hear that, I've basicly got the same mods. let us know what it is for shure.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM

I just had it towed to the dealership. They are suppose to let me know exactly what it is and how much it will cost. I'll keep everyone informed.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM

around 4k and go with the Sti block you wont be sorry.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Emsraumajunke
around 4k and go with the Sti block you wont be sorry.
Did you do yours yourself? I'm needing someone to guide me thru this. I'm thinking of buying the service manual they are selling on ebay, but I'm not too sure about it. What did you use as far as instructions? Also, what kind of difference did you notice with the STi (2.5) heads. Power upgrade? And if I decide to go with it, how will the tranny fare with the increased torque?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 PM

OK fellas, here's the update. The #3 rod is knocking and the rod bearing was obliterated and floating around in the oil pan! They said they will repair it for 3800$ (putting a new 2.0 short block in) but they aren't willing to do the 2.5 liter swap due to liability issues. They did say the 2.0 liter SB was 1648$ and the 2.5 was 1800$. I'm still kinda iffy about buying the 2.5 and doing it myself. Mostly due to the fact that I'm afraid my tranny will go next. What does everyone suggest? How hard is it to do the 2.5 liter swap? Any how long can I expect my tranny to last afterwards? As far as the warranty goes......They are telling me that, due to me being the second owner and that I had the car modded, they will pay 50% of the 3800$ IF I can show receipts from oil change facilities showing that I got my oil changed every 3-5k miles since I owned the car. They said if I changed it myself, they WILL NOT provide any warranty work on my car.