Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

1 quart of oil low

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Question 1 quart of oil low

I saw some smoke coming out of my hood scoop (just a bit) so I popped the hood. There was a little bit of smoke coming from what looked like underneath the turbo. After a while, it stopped, but I decided to check my oil "just in case". I was a quart low.

My two questions are:
1. What was cooking oil "underneath" my turbo?
2. What would cause me to be a quart low (no visible leaks).

I put some more oil in, and am changing it today to be sure. Also, last week I had a cylinder not firing. I drove my car to the dealership to get it fixed. Would this have somehow caused a low oil level? Or is this normal? I've run my current oil (Mobil 1 synth) for 4k miles.
Thanks
-Etch
Old 03-31-2003, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by EtchyLives
I saw some smoke coming out of my hood scoop (just a bit) so I popped the hood. There was a little bit of smoke coming from what looked like underneath the turbo. After a while, it stopped, but I decided to check my oil "just in case". I was a quart low.
<snip...>
Also, last week I had a cylinder not firing. I drove my car to the dealership to get it fixed. Would this have somehow caused a low oil level? Or is this normal?
I'd be wondering about the source of the smoke from underhood. What exactly did the technicians do to repair the misfire condition (did they have to get into the motor?)? Could you tell if it was motor oil burning?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush