Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 996 Turbo,Gallardo,BMW 335,125cc shifter kart,etc
Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)

Just a little trick that has been shown to accelerate the factory ECU's ignition timing learning process.

Background: There is something called "Ignition Advance Multiplier". It represents, by some complicated algorithm, the average learned positive knock correction applied to the ignition maps. It's represented in 1/8th degrees increments. 1 being the lowest and 16 being the highest (1/8 to 2 degrees in absolute terms).

The "happier" (knock free) the car is, the higher the number will be. Conversely, the lower it is, the more knock prone it is. This number, after ECU reset ore ECU swap defaults to 8 and usually creeps up to 16 (if well mapped) through normal driving. Depending on driving characteristics, this can happen within a few hours or a few weeks. Well, here's a way to make it happen in about 5 seconds ....

First: With the car fully warmed up, reset the ECU. This can be done by killing power the ECU or by simply pulling off the neg. battery terminal and pressing the brake pedal for a couple of seconds.

Second: Drive to a nice open road without traffic. Don't go on boost until you get there. Put the car into gear (3rd gear works the best) bring the revs up to 2600rpm. Push the go pedal down slightly so boost stays right around 2-4psi. You will need to MAINTAIN 2500rpm and 2-5psi for approx 5 seconds. You can do this by left-foot braking gently as to prevent acceleration. During these few seconds, the advance multiplier (which you can't see so you'll have to trust me) will go from 8, to 12 and then to 16. Works like a charm. And on our reflashed ECU, is worth an immediate 10-20 horsepower

In an attempt to save a lot of dyno time between reflashes (when the advance multiplier resets itself), I do this little trick after every reflash. In a typical dyno session, it's not unusual to reflash the same car up to 5 times. On the dyno, all I need to do is tell the dyno to hold revs to 2600rpm. Then I just lay on the throttle until I see a few psi of boost... Bingo!

Warning: This little trick artificially speeds up the learning process. This is only a good thing if the re-mapped ECU is mapped properly. If there are trouble-spots where knock is present, this trick will make it even more present. So be careful!

Cheers,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com
________
Wrangler

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:06 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Re: Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)

Originally posted by Vishnu
Just a little trick that has been shown to accelerate the factory ECU's ignition timing learning process.
<snip..>
Thank you, Shiv!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:23 AM

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
How many HP will this instantly give you, if any, on a completely stock set up?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
None. Unless your ecu has detected knock in the past and reduced your positive knock count that is. This "trick"/procedure is only to get your computer back up to speed after your battery has been disconnected...
Old 01-27-2003, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
Will ya help me translate PSI to MP for the 2-4PSI hold.
2 to 4 PSI equals 0.014 to 0.028 MPa

Multiply PSI by .00689476 to get MPa

Here's an online metric/standard conversion chart.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 03-04-2003, 12:41 AM

Car Info: Real Slow
this shortcut trick really works.

after reset and shivs little trick, my first full pull was hesitation free and stayed that way. car pulled just like before.

thanks for the tip, shiv!

Quick Reply: Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds :)