Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb Access Port Tune Surging

Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 Blue Wagon
Cobb Access Port Tune Surging

I was previously running a custom tuned Xede from Vishnu until the unit failed and I lost the map. I then switched to a stage 2. I am hitting the target boost but immediately I notice that the low boxer burble was decreased with the new map. No other changes were made. I am thinking that the Copp tune does not have as much timing advance. The other unusual thing is that it pulls much harder when you get to 5000rpm and continues to pull hard to 6000 to 6500.

I have a vishnu uppipe, Turbo XS down and mid pipes with 1 high flow cat, and stromung dual tip exhaust. I am also using a vishnu underdrive pulley, K and N drop in filter and one heat range colder plugs.

Do you think its the tune or should I try something else?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
A custom dyno tune will almost always make more power and torque than an off-the-shelf tune. It only takes a couple of degrees less ignition advance at a certain RPM range to be able to feel the difference in torque but could be dangerous to mess around with timing without access to a wide-band O² sensor.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 11-22-2006, 10:30 AM

Car Info: WRX Wagon
Messing with the timing has nothing to do with a wideband controller. If you adjust fuel then yes, you need a wideband sensor to see how lean or rich you are running. To adjust timing, you need access to EGT and also keep an eye on KC and knock.

IMHO get the car tuned my an experienced tuner.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
To add to this. What if an advanced tuner found that the ignition advance timing is 6 to 7 degrees to low. What can be done to figure this out? I know i should be making more power but he said that he couldnt apply usual ignition timing numbers on the top end.

Any input?

Thanks guys