Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Career in tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 AM

Car Info: SWP '12 STi Sedan
Career in tuning?

Hello Everyone. I am new to the car scene, and almost done with my first year of college. I still have not found my passion, but I had an idea. What if I became a tuner, and opened my own shop? I'm sure it's not easy, but I would go to school for that. I was wondering about the basic job description. Such as, skills needed, degrees needed, salary etc.? What steps would I take towards getting there?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Becoming a good tuner and especially opening and operating a good shop is an extremely difficult path and something you have to go into slowly. You have to get a very good understanding of engine dynamics, turbo systems, software systems, and finally customer service and business management skills.

Finally, while it may seem that tuners/shops make a lot of money, that is usually far from the truth. Most shops barely make enough to stay in business and take home a little money at the end of the day. The first few years of opening a shop are very expensive and most shops do not make any profits for at least 3 years. If you're going into this field based on money, you are making a big mistake. You have to have serious passion for this type of work to make it worth it.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 AM

Car Info: SWP '12 STi Sedan
I know, I'm just trying to find my passion in life. I'm really starting to get into cars, and it was just an idea. I see you're from fairfield. Would I be able to pass by one day during this summer and take a look around and stuff?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Sure... we're here Monday-Friday.

Thanks
-- Ed