Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Wrx's Trannys Suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 08:49 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
First gear is weird on WRX's. Rev-matching doesn't really help and it is easy to break the synchro.

My car "ate" 2 trannys. Thats when I bit the bullet and got a 6MT from an STi. Will report as soon as it gets here.

- Alex
Old 11-23-2002, 08:58 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
hey alex, do you happen to know how much wheel hp or torque the sti 6 speed can handle. i am tossing around the idea of a dog box or the sti 6 speed. thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 09:04 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
From what I have heard, they are very strong. Most of my "inside" info comes from Japan where 5MT's are known to break at about 350-400HP. So far, I haven't heard about a single 6MT that broke "under" power.

They are very strong. There are cast "rings" that act just like the block gurdle (sp?) and prevent from case flexing.

Also, 6MT has a hydrolyc lube system. It means there is a pump inside that circulates fluid and insure adequate lubrication.

Finally, diffs are in enclosed areas, so in case of a gear failure, the diffs will stay alive. Thats important, because the front Sure-Track LSD's aren't cheap.

- Alex
Old 11-23-2002, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
thanks for the info.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:53 AM

Re: Wrx's Trannys Suck!!!!

Originally posted by MikeyWRX
i WAS up driving the mountains last night and i have been able to go into first from 0 -25 w/out a problem for 30k, well twice at like 10mph i tried to put it in first and w/the clutch in twice it friggin grinded unless i rev matched......i guess i started my custom dog box project!

-mikey
check the fluid level. When dropping down hold it in first and it will slide in when its lined up (it can take a few seconds.)

The more you drop to first the easier is goes in.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:45 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Originally posted by N/A
So far the STI 6spd sounds to be as big an improvement as the Silvia 6spd was over the old 5spd. Personally I'd like to see Subaru get with the people at Getrag to design a totally new gearbox. Casing and all.
That 6MT is a totally different gearbox, from the ground up. I hope it is better than my 2 5MTs as well.

Alex, I feel your pain man!

Andy

Quick Reply: Wrx's Trannys Suck!!!!