Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Transmission Jammed in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 06:09 PM

Car Info: B5 S4
Transmission Jammed in Gear

Recently i was driving. When i came to a red light i stopped and tried to switch gears from fourth to second or first. But for some reason it wouldn't let me get out of 4th gear. Then after giving it a little push it seemed to have gotten out but the shifter was like stuck in one spot and it almost seemed like it lost its shift pattern for example i couldn't go in the direction of first and second gear nor fifth or reverse. And once it got out of one section it would get stuck in another, making it impossible for me to move the car. I would just stall out. Then after restarting the car and holding the clutch in for a couple minutes i gave the shifter another shake and it seemed to have gotten out and back to normal. I don't know what the heck happened. The engine was fully at operating temperature because i was driving for about 3hrs, and i've never had this type of problem before. What should i do, i don't hear or feel anything wrong in the transmission when i drive it Now.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Tranny problem

I had a '89 Ford Probe GT 5-speed that had the same problem. I was coming home one night and when I went to downshift from 3rd to 2nd it wouldn't go. People told me the synchros were bad, the shifter bushing was shot, faulty clutch disc or pressure plate, faulty release bearing or shift lever, and improper adjusted linkage. I troubleshot as much as I could mechanically do and could find nothing. In the end, I tried a miracle in a bottle solution and believe it or not it worked. I drained a quart of ATF, which is what the manual tranny in a 1st Gen. Probe calls for, and added a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix-It ($8 at Advance Auto). I then placed Rhino ramps in front of the tires and started driving halfway up the ramps and drifting off, all the while trying to get it out of gear. Finally, after basically punching the shifter and many rockings up and down the ramp she came loose. I never had a problem for the next 30,000 miles and I sold the car. I'm not recommending you try this, but if you get desperate enough I would look into some kind of transmission additive. I must say, there is no such thing as a "mechanic in a bottle" and I hate putting additives in any part of my car, but I was desperate and broke at the time. Maybe you should also change your tranny fluid because there might be metal shavings in there interferring with the gears.

-Charles-
Old 03-16-2003, 10:12 PM

Car Info: MY02 WRX Sedan
Question

i had that same problem too after i got my car. it was a new 2002 that i purchased about just over 2 months ago. it stuck one night in i believe 3rd or 4th gear and i couldnt get it out. i stopped and tried to get the gear unlocked but it wasnt budging! i tried turning the car on and off, letting it sit and then engaging the clutch and trying again. eventually it just popped back out and started running fine again. havent noticed any problems and it has since been in and out of the shop for other work and the dealership didnt notice anything. actually it seemed to shift a lot smoother after it came loose. not bad loose, just smoother.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
So Teck2018, what did you do and how'd it turn out?

jason