Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Trans help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX hatch
Trans help!

Hey i'm new here but hope some fellow WRX'rs can give me some advice. First of all I'm in the West Michigan area and i have an 02 WRX wagon with a 5spd MT. I need to remove it and get some work done cuz i think i have at least one bearing failing causing a noise that i would describe as a piston knock when i put the car in 3rd. I can also hear the noise when i'm coasting in neutral approaching a light and it is not as loud. If anyone is from the area it would be great if you could suggest a place to get it fixed. My other question is in regards to possibly installing a lightweight flywheel while the trans is out. If i did that is it required that i replace the clutch with something other than a stock one? I don't race it but i do drive it hard and just want to get a lil more out of it and i'm wondering if this is the right mod to make or would i be better off spending a lil less and installing a chip or perhaps an access port? I'm not out to spend a ton of money so i don't want to or think i need to be too ridiculous in terms of the the mod or it's cost. Any suggestions for any of the above(including brands to consider) would be great.

thanks

Long winded Jim in W. Mich