Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

questions regarding 6 spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Car Info: Sti hatch
questions regarding 6 spd swap

today I picked up an STi 6spd, driveshafts, diff, crossmembers, axles, hubs and a few other parts that are irrelevant. this is all being started from a track day and hard 3rd gear shifts.

The seller threw in a BNIB subaru pressure plate and throw out bearing, I do not want to reuse my 05 wrx clutch because it has a rough 50k on it and figure this would be an ideal time to swap it out. for this, I will need the actual clutch disc and flywheel to complete the clutch setup right? and a clutch alignment tool?

as for the axles, on the end where they attach to the hubs, the nut with the crease to keep it from backing off, it would be ideal to buy a new nut for one axle that is detached form the hub and not reuse one from my stock setup?

Is there any way to actually tell if the diff. is a true R180? It was too heavy for me to lift up and read anything on it and it is covered by the black steel crossmember/shield but it just looks like an ordinary silver suby diff. to me.

one other thing..... that tranny is F*****G HEAVY! but im stoked
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Nobody? I also have a question regarding not using the sti hubs, reusing my stock ones and being able to use my stock brakes. With this setup I'd also like to use the sti axles. Any input? Or is nasioc going to have to pwn iclub on this one...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX TR Stage 2
Lucky! I want 6 speed. The clutch/pressure plate will depend. I'm pretty sure your 6 speed is a pull type clutch right? if your 5 is a pull type you can use ur clutch i believe. But if its a push type (most wrx) you need to get a new set of clutch/pressure plate for the 6 speed. And an alignment tool would be nice to make sure the clutch is straight . Yes, when your reinserting the axles into the hubs you should get new bolts, just to be sure it won't come back out b/c the tab may break if its used.

And for the R180, i know the sti R180 has a rear diff temperature sensor thing so see if there's one on the diff. And the R180 is bigger than the R160 so you can compare for that. And on last thing about the R180 is that i'm pretty sure it has a LSD right? and the R160 doesnt (it does, but not big enough to act like one)? So stick a axle in one end and one in the other end and spin it and see if they spin in same direction or in different direction. Same = R180 and diff = R160. Other than these way, you prob would have to open the diff to see it if there is no tag on the diff.

If you wanna use your own hubs, u can't change ur axles b/c R180 diff don't mate with R160 axles and hubs. So you would have to convert ur R160 into the right gear ratio. I think its 3.9 for 04s and 3.54 for 05 and 06? Check on forumn for that. So if you convert ur R160 u just need a new auto driveshaft or custom made.

Hope this helped.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM

so the only way to use the r180 diff is if i use the sti hubs with it becasue the axles dont line up with the wrx hubs? and if i dont use the r180, i will have to either convert my diff to r160 and buy and auto driveshaft or can i use the sti driveshaft?