Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Installing an ACT Clutch/Flywheel - Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 2003 AW WRX - VF39
Installing an ACT Clutch/Flywheel - Help

Hi,

So I am going to be installing a new ACT Clutch/Flywheel Kit (Street) on my 03 WRX. Ive read a few write ups on how to do it but I still had a few questions that I could not find.

1) What other parts (gastkets, fluid, ect.) should be replaced during this kind of installation.

2) What wear and tear parts on a car with 104k miles on it should I also replace while doing this kind of work on my Impreza.

3) Should this really be an installation I do on my own with 3 other friends who have never done this before? Or should I leave it to the pro's?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
throwout bearing should be replaced when you do this and gear oil is waht you will be using and have fun installing this with your car only lifted 1 1/2 foot in the air
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Thanks, yeah the kit already came without a throwout bearing to replace with. And the got fresh new redline tranny and diff fluid ready to go! :]

Anyone else got any other things that might help?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by hamburgl3r
Thanks, yeah the kit already came without a throwout bearing to replace with. And the got fresh new redline tranny and diff fluid ready to go! :]

Anyone else got any other things that might help?
yah,use motul not redline
make sure you have new crush washers for the drain bolts and lots of brake cleaner.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
don't forget to pullout that long rod/bolt that holds tranny fork.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
1) What other parts (gastkets, fluid, ect.) should be replaced during this kind of installation.
Rear main seal, Input shaft seal on both sides of the tranny if you're pulling it.
New clutch fork, Throw out bearing (release bearing), Gear oil, New bolts for the flywheel, loctite,

2) What wear and tear parts on a car with 104k miles on it should I also replace while doing this kind of work on my Impreza.
If you wanna go for gold, be brave and tear and rebuild the tranny, syncros and gears that looks worn or damaged and put an LSD in it. Do the axle boots as well. Its excessive but if you're there.....

3) Should this really be an installation I do on my own with 3 other friends who have never done this before? Or should I leave it to the pro's?
That depends. are your friends gonna stick with it? or are they gonna call it quits?

United Auto on 1st street and Virginia in San Jose can get you these parts and they sell fluids too. redline, amsoil royal purple.

Call me if you need some help. I'm around the southbay.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty Slug
Rear main seal, Input shaft seal on both sides of the tranny if you're pulling it.
New clutch fork, Throw out bearing (release bearing), Gear oil, New bolts for the flywheel, loctite,

If you wanna go for gold, be brave and tear and rebuild the tranny, syncros and gears that looks worn or damaged and put an LSD in it. Do the axle boots as well. Its excessive but if you're there.....

That depends. are your friends gonna stick with it? or are they gonna call it quits?

United Auto on 1st street and Virginia in San Jose can get you these parts and they sell fluids too. redline, amsoil royal purple.

Call me if you need some help. I'm around the southbay.
cool i appreciate the good input!

And why would someone suggest Motul over redline? just curious.