Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

GM synchromesh=ambrosia for ur tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Wagon Ltd.
Hey to all,

I just did this weekend and it works really well!! I used one qt of the syncromesh and the rest was 75W90 valvoline!! I did the tranny and the rear diff! The rear Dif was just the regular dino stuff! All in all this is a great mod.

Later Super
Old 06-08-2005, 11:21 PM

Car Info: white WRX
I just did mine too! nice blend and my tranny now shifts a lot better! recommended.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:22 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon White
At 117,000 miles, did the switch last night on my '02 WRX. I'd like to sincerely thank subawho?, not just for bringing it up, but for making such a big stink about it. There's always a risk making a "stink" about anything on the boards and this one works. I've had M1 for about 80k miles and dealt w/ the grind and other problems. Two qts. Pennzoil Synchromesh mixed with 2 qts. Valvoline Synthetic blend brought the gearbox back from the grave. I did put the M1 back in the rear diff - no friction of any sort needed/wanted there. I'll also continue to use M1 in the engine. It's just too slippery for the tranny, period.

Thanks again subawho?. I can't wait to try your "70/30 gasoline to water" mod to get the horsepower back.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
sweet, glad its working out for everyone. so how about some tire discounts dex?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
FYI:

So I'm at about 53k mi now; 23k on the synchomesh cocktail. Not a grind. Tranny still feels much newer than when I bought the car at 8k mi. Beautiful stuff.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
vip

Car Info: 2007 BMW 335i
Just put in the syncromesh

So after reading up about this so called syncromesh, I went ahead and bought 1 quart of GM syncromesh (purchased at $10 a quart from a chevrolet dealership nearby) and I bought 3 quarts of valvoline 80w90 tranny fluid. Me and my friend DPT went ahead and mixed it up. So far i have only driven a few miles on it, but I can somewhat tell that the shifting feels smoother and no grinds in first gear at all so far. My car has 68k miles on it and its an 02. I will post more feedback as soon as I get more mileage on it. Thanks a lot subawho for the nice find on the syncromesh....

VIP
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM

gm

2 qt's pennzoi synchro, 1 qt Lw shockproof, 1 qt valvo. **** feels great! Smooth like butter. No grinds. Worth a try. No joke.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Jist plain 80w90 will make most well treated WRXs shift "like buttah!"

Originally Posted by vip
So after reading up about this so called syncromesh, I went ahead and bought 1 quart of GM syncromesh (purchased at $10 a quart from a chevrolet dealership nearby) and I bought 3 quarts of valvoline 80w90 tranny fluid. Me and my friend DPT went ahead and mixed it up. So far i have only driven a few miles on it, but I can somewhat tell that the shifting feels smoother and no grinds in first gear at all so far. My car has 68k miles on it and its an 02. I will post more feedback as soon as I get more mileage on it. Thanks a lot subawho for the nice find on the syncromesh....
VIP
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 PM

well i'm definitely sold. synchromesh and some vavoline will most likely go in tomorrow. and to think i was ready to put out $450 for a junkyard tranny.

is there a preference or advantage between going with vavoline 75w90 and the castrol hypoy-c? or should i go with whichever i find at the store? i've never heard of they hypoyc before i saw this thread.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:29 PM
vip

Originally Posted by up-and-down
well i'm definitely sold. synchromesh and some vavoline will most likely go in tomorrow. and to think i was ready to put out $450 for a junkyard tranny.

is there a preference or advantage between going with vavoline 75w90 and the castrol hypoy-c? or should i go with whichever i find at the store? i've never heard of they hypoyc before i saw this thread.
not sure, if its your first time changing to GM stuff, id try valvoline, no harm done, and im pretty happy with the mix, no more deceleration noise and much much smoother shifting, as well as no grinding....

VIP
Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
OK, this may sound dumb so don't flame me too much. I just got my 30k not too long ago. Can I just drain out 1 qt of the stuff that was added and replace with 1 qt of synchromesh? Is that even possible to do? I imagine once I remove the plug it's just going to empty out.

Oh, and thanks VIP for pointing out this thread. Glad to see that there is hope to end the grinding.

-ryan
Old 07-28-2005, 04:08 PM

gooder-

you're right. if you open up plug on the bottom of the transmission, the oil wil just come gushing out so that may not be the best or cleanest way to do it. find a little rubber ball pump with a silicon hose on the end of it (i saw a few at kmart the other day) and pump out 1 qt of oil from the transmission filler hole. the dipstick of course has to be out. this won't be a quick technique, but it will work and won't give you gear fluid everywhere. you can also probably fit a small hose onto the end of a turkey baster and suck it up with that, or find an electric pump, that'll work even better.

anybody-
got the synchromesh today, but no local auto parts stores have valvoline 75w90 dino fluid, only the synthetic. should i wait it out and find some dino fluid or will the synth be ok to use?

oh, and i thought that reverting back to dino from a synthetic oil (redline in my case) was a no no. or is that only in the engine?

thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:00 PM
vip

gooder-

you're right. if you open up plug on the bottom of the transmission, the oil wil just come gushing out so that may not be the best or cleanest way to do it. find a little rubber ball pump with a silicon hose on the end of it (i saw a few at kmart the other day) and pump out 1 qt of oil from the transmission filler hole. the dipstick of course has to be out. this won't be a quick technique, but it will work and won't give you gear fluid everywhere. you can also probably fit a small hose onto the end of a turkey baster and suck it up with that, or find an electric pump, that'll work even better.

anybody-
got the synchromesh today, but no local auto parts stores have valvoline 75w90 dino fluid, only the synthetic. should i wait it out and find some dino fluid or will the synth be ok to use?

oh, and i thought that reverting back to dino from a synthetic oil (redline in my case) was a no no. or is that only in the engine?

thanks.

u should be able to get the valvoline stuff from kragen, thats where i got mine
Old 07-28-2005, 05:03 PM
vip

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gooder77
OK, this may sound dumb so don't flame me too much. I just got my 30k not too long ago. Can I just drain out 1 qt of the stuff that was added and replace with 1 qt of synchromesh? Is that even possible to do? I imagine once I remove the plug it's just going to empty out.

Oh, and thanks VIP for pointing out this thread. Glad to see that there is hope to end the grinding.

-ryan
no problem ryan... this stuff is magic, i used to grind all the time going into 1st or reverse... now with the cocktail, no more grinding and a much much smoother delivery of shifting into gears and low deceleration noise as well...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX wagon
anybody-

thanks.
I'd pass on the synthetic, I've read many posts here and elsewhere that in some cases it causes some of the grinding issues. Stick with a non-synthetic, unless you're going with the cocktail of 1qt Synchromesh + 1qt Redline + non-synthetic. I think in the case of the above mix, the synthetic is meant to offset some of the "undesirable" Synchromesh characteristics.