Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

GM synchromesh=ambrosia for ur tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Thumbs up

I'm doing it this weekend for sure....My first gear has been hell for awhile...Took it to subaru and they said nothing was wrong...Then they said that was how 1rst gear was...couldn't shift into 1st unless you were doing under 5 mph....I hope this works....
Old 05-13-2004, 09:09 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Next time I change my tranny oil I'm going to try 1 quart Pennzoil synchromesh for sure. I almost did the last time but instead went with 2qts. Redline and rest Stock (Castrol) .....
Old 05-16-2004, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Ok, just did full flush in tranny and rear diff..
1st the symtoms:
- Car has 54k miles ( no clue if previous owner has flushed tranny - he said he did )
- From Neutral to 1st and Neutral to Reverse = some grinding on occasion
- From 1st - 2cd at WOT = some grinding very very rare ( probably user error ;o )

2cd the fix:
-Rear differential was flushed and it smelt like crap, was a very blackish green liquid which was just horrible to the smell and was killing my brain as i was swapping it. I swapped it with .8 quarts of Redline 75w90 gear oil

-Gearbox was flushed out completely also, once again the liquid was a mean black and was very very thick. I put in ~2.7 quarts of Valvoline Full Synthetic 75w90 and 1 quart GM synchromesh tranny fluid.

Results / Thoughts :
Let the car warm up and took it for a spin.. so far so good, no griding as of yet and upshifting / downshifting synchros spin faster to get the gears to shift smoother. Over tranny feels better, BUT i dont know if the synchromesh is the key to this, as i have not flushed it with any other liquid. But it can't hurt, only thing i noticed was the car smelled a bit odd after going WOT a few times, guess thats just the new fluid getting heated up for the 1st time.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Thumbs up

Ok I just did this a half hour ago and so far I can tell that the car shifts a bit smoother. I haven't really driven the car any length yet so more to come but so far I like what I see. (or feel for that matter!)

Ryan
Old 05-17-2004, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
I'm glad this stuff seems to be working [so far] for the wrx community.
I haven't seen one bad review yet!
G'luck to everyone w/ tranny problems-- the ones movin' the cars and also the ones movin' the streets
Old 05-21-2004, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Thumbs up

Wow! Synchromesh works wonders! I put 2 quarts of synchromesh and 1.7 quarts of vavoline 75w90 in my car today. No more grinding while goin into first at a dead stop and I can downshift into first at 20mph. I tried 30mph for the hell or it and it went right in!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:35 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
Cutting GM Synchromesh with dino

What's the purpose of cutting the Synchromesh with dino? Is it just to save a few bucks? Or is it the concern of using a GL4 oil in a GL5 spec'ed application?

Anybody running 100% GM Synchromesh with problems or performance degradations?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
We have found that using the regular GL5 slop works better with the Subaru trannies than any of the more fashionable branded synthetic oils (Redline, Mobil 1 etc etc).

Can't attest to the GM stuff but see no reason why it would not work well when mixed with regular slop. Glad it's working for everyone.

Mike

*chimed in because of locals calling and asking about this stuff from this thread!*
Old 05-21-2004, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
MPJ, which brand of regular dino GL5 do you use? I can get Valvoline dino, or sometimes Castrol dino... thanks.

Originally Posted by MPJ Performance
We have found that using the regular GL5 slop works better with the Subaru trannies than any of the more fashionable branded synthetic oils (Redline, Mobil 1 etc etc).

Can't attest to the GM stuff but see no reason why it would not work well when mixed with regular slop. Glad it's working for everyone.

Mike

*chimed in because of locals calling and asking about this stuff from this thread!*
Old 05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Valvoline GL5 Dino has worked well for me in the past. I'm going to fortify it with a bit of Synchromesh during my next fluid replacement.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
Originally Posted by generalwrx
somebody give this guy 500 scooby snacks.
that'll be nice