Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Just know when your engine catches and what RPM's you will be at when you downshift. Also popping the clutch EVER in a subaru is a bad idea But knowing your transmittion and keeping yourself under control is key Good Luck :banana:

WRX Rush
Old 03-24-2004, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by SlickmisterN
Actually your pressure plate would explode, not your engine, however it is still ill advised.
....I've seen several examples of catastrophic engine failure due to mis-shifting.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
Im not saying im 100% right, that is just what Ive seen to be most common. Im sure you could blow up your engine by mis-shifting.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:40 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Dorington, your not a noob but some of these comments may help you, and others.let me know what ya think. I learn new things every day.

You need to learn where you gears rev at. Play with it a little. If your insay second 40mph and your rpms are around 5k. Then say if your in 3rd and your at about 65 mph at say 5k. then going from 3rd to second once the revs drop about 1500rpm should be safe. Just don't drop the clutch ease it out. When i say ease this can be done faster or slower. Just don't drop it. If your experimenting and you slowly ease your clutch you can see where the revs are. If they get to high for you but stay under i'd say about 6500 you can push the clutch back in. Go find some abandoned roads and play with the speeds and revs for a while. I know all of this will be a little hard on your clutch but its better than a missed shift at 6000rpm or a misdownshift from 4th to 2nd at 90mph. I know i will probably get nailed for my exact numbers on this so let me just say that i am guessing on the revs and speeds. I can't really tell you unless i'm in the car. Once you practice playing in a safe environment you will be better suited in an emergency or other "situations" where you need to shift quickly. Good luck getting it into first though. I was doing about 3mph with the clutch all the way in rolling to a stop the other day. Going from 2nd to first and it just would not go. I actually had to come to a full stop. let off the clutch and push it back in before it went into first. This is the first time for this and i have about 7k on my 04'. Weird. Good luck and play safe.