Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

clutch?? tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
clutch?? tranny??

i have a 03 wrx that am having issues with..it kinda feeels like last time my tranny went out n am hoping its not the same thing again. It feels like im only running on 2 wheels..like its not in awd..

and when i put it in first gear with the e-brake and start releasing the clutch the car doesnt jerk or shut off it stays on..??

could this mean my tranny is toast?? or is it jst a clutch problem??
Old 11-21-2009, 02:34 AM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
If you put the car into 1st and let the clutch out with the e-brake still engaged, the car should jerk hard and immediately stall. It definitely shouldn't stay running.

If your clutch is worn, the pedal may feel excessively stiff and the engagement point is near the top of pedal travel. Plus if you climb a hill and put the accelerator down, the engine will rev but you're not really gaining any momentum.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Like its not running in AWD. This isn't something I shouldn't say but I will, put the car on jackstands with the wheels off the ground and put it in first gear. have someone on both sides tell you if all the wheels are spinning. instantly you will know if you're car is fully engaged in awd. don't step on the accelerator pedal when you do check if all the tires are spinning

do you release the clutch all the way with the e-brake on? Sounds like you're releasing the clutch pedal extremely slow. this really doesn't tell me anything when you say that.

I have hope for this trans but like any trans, its all in how you take care of it. How many miles do you have? when was the last time the clutch was replaced? do you drive it like you stole it? Did you check fluid level?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
i believe awd differentials on subarus spin 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel, like the driver front wheel and the passenger rear wheel should be spinning at the same time if you were on jack stands..

[edit] I just watched a youtube vid with both driver side, front n rear, wheels spinning at the same time on jack stands...I guess all 4 wheels should turn while the cars on jack stands..

Last edited by ayoraider07; 01-27-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: correction